Opinions on Started Title
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Started Title

Default Opinions on Started Title

I have 2 dogs that I will be looking to sell this fall as started dogs. They will both be about a year and a half old. I know that a started hunt test is not that glorious, it is just getting singles, but how much, if any, could putting a started title on a dog increase the price? Is it worth even messing with? After entry fees and driving a couple of hours for each test, I’m not sure if it’d be worth it. Thanks for the opinions

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't think much, if any difference in price with a started title - but that is assuming you are selling to someone who is familiar with a started hunt test .. Taking videos of the dogs working as they would in a hunting scenario and their basic obedience (kenneling, home life)... guns, birds, blinds, decoys would probably be more advantageous.....
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Actually - you might be able to suck in potential hunt test 'newbies'... tell them the dog is ready for started and encourage them to enter tests to get the dogs' started titles.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

“Started” means different things to different people. At 18 months old, a typical dog would be through basics and much of transition work. Pattern blinds, blind drills, elementary cold blinds, decheating, etc. This is far beyond what is required to obtain a started title. So the started title wouldn’t tell me much at all.

So, if I were buying a started dog, I’d be looking at what the dog can do rather than whether or not it had a started title.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

IMO

A started dog and a dog with a started title are two very different things.

If I was to train and sell a "started dog" it would be through basics and ready to start elementary cold blinds. That's my definition.

A 4 month old puppy with very little training can pass a started test.

The started test and title are nothing but a fun thing for brand new people to get line time in and to help them stay interested in the game.

Now to answer your question about value..

If you are looking to get the most money you might find a market for "breeders" who like to get a started and junior title on dogs and breed them.

In most situations I don't agree with doing that.

If I was you I'd put those pups through a good basics program and have them solid and ready to advance.

I think if you do that and market them as that you'll have better luck than just slapping a started title on them.
    Last edited by Bryan Parks; 07-01-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

A started title is pretty much worthless, IMO. Adds zero to the value of a dog. A dog doesn't even have to deliver to hand to pass a started test and you get 2 single marks(land and water) at distances usually less than 50 yds. Most well bred 3-month old puppies should be able to pass one in their sleep.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

The only value in the started or junior level tests is in getting people involved in the sport.
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

I agree with the above. I judge started tests and they are fun...for new folks. However, if I'm buying or selling a "started" dog...My definition of started would be upper Seasoned to Senior level work. That is, if I were buying a "started" hunting dog. If I'm looking for something to run derbies with- the level of hunt test accomplishment would mean nothing to me and I would instead be only interested in what the pup is doing right now and how he looks doing it after a thorough discussion of what training has occurred. That said, I do run each of my dogs in two started tests. HRC rules allow one to carry 10 championship points from the started level- no need to run four of those tests to get a started title when only two actually count for points.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue." - Author Unknown

HRCH Big Trax Candlewood's Katie Bar the Door MH "Kate"
    HRCH Big Trax Queen of Spades MH "Spade"
    Big Trax Gump's off Running "Chunk" RIP 12-30-15 - 07-25-17

I appreciate all the opinions. I have always done 2 started tests for dogs, to get 10 points to carry over and get them hunt test experience. But I’ve always moved on the HR title after that and not gotten the started title. Anyone who knows hunt tests shouldn’t be too impressed with started title. But I was not for sure if on the open market if started title would increase value much. But it seems like most of y’all feel the same as me, if there was any increase in money for a started titled dog, it would not be enough (if any) to justify cost and time for hunt tests to get the title. I appreciate everyone’s input

I've no doubt there are souls out there who'll think "SHR" meaningful, but would think your chances of finding them are mighty slim. Odds would seem a whole lot greater that "started dog" shoppers are going to want to see what Pup really knows, and those four weekends would be better spent training than testing
    Last edited by Rick Hall; 07-01-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log