The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derby Question?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    You said: "your dog has to be STEADY"
    While it may be a good practice, The rulebook clearly does not require or agree with that..
    Whether or not you know anybody who would enter a dog in a derby that's not steady is irrelevant. I suspect you know very few people who have entered any FT stake, because in almost every one of the 100's of FT I have been to I have seen unsteady dogs entered in both minor and AA stakes. And if you've never seen an unsteady dog at a derby you have been to very few, ( if any) Derbies.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the rulebook before again giving erroneous advice regarding same

The rulebook also doesn't forbid retired guns.
    Historically retired guns were (very)unlikely, but that is not so much the case anymore.

Fixed it for you. Are you happy now?
    Don't bother answering, I already know you are not.

To the OP,
    I'm sure it would be well worth your time to connect with some of the people Breck suggested. The best thing that ever happened for my dog was me getting connected with some experienced field trialers.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Just curious Tigerfan since you have been to 100s of field trials how would you judge an "unsteady" ( in my understanding unsteady = break or controlled break) dog in derby ? Q? AA stakes?
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

I know Andera, I may have met Chris, they train on Saturdays. But like I said I don’t want to intrude since they have an established group. I generally work my pup in the evenings,
    i was wondering how to learn about Derby’s. Thanks again for all the information

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Just curious Tigerfan since you have been to 100s of field trials how would you judge an "unsteady" ( in my understanding unsteady = break or controlled break) dog in derby ? Q? AA stakes?
    Am or Open elimination
    Derby or Q it would be noted as a moderate fault.
    depending on the rest of that dogs work and the relative work of the rest rest of the field it may get him dropped or he may be called back and could still win

Quote Originally Posted by K Rocha View Post
    I know Andera, I may have met Chris, they train on Saturdays. But like I said I don’t want to intrude since they have an established group. I generally work my pup in the evenings,
    i was wondering how to learn about Derby’s. Thanks again for all the information
    Go watch one. The summer FT season has plenty of Derby/ Quals listed on entryexpress. Sit and watch both the dogs and the handlers. You will see good ones, bad ones , lucky ones and unlucky ones. If you stay for all 4 series you will hopefully see both the natural and the technical side of Derbies and young dog training.
    Have fun!
    Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Read the rule book for sure, but it will not prepare you or give you enough info on what to train on to be competitive in a derby. The rules emphasize natural abilities over those acquired through training, but it is extremely rare in the southeast to see a set of derby marks that don’t require more trained ability than natural.

Very tight concept marks are the norm. I tell people that if your dog can’t do a long retired mark with a very tight line past a live flyer on land and do a very demanding two down the shore double on water, your not ready for what the derby has become.

With that said. If your dog is steady, delivers to hand, will go went sent for a bird they may not remember well, and is honest on cheaty water marks, just go sign up and run a couple. With these skills, it’s unlikely your dog will develop bad habits and you may find that judge who is generous with callbacks as the rule book encourages. You will learn more by doing than watching.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    Go watch one. The summer FT season has plenty of Derby/ Quals listed on entryexpress. Sit and watch both the dogs and the handlers. You will see good ones, bad ones , lucky ones and unlucky ones. If you stay for all 4 series you will hopefully see both the natural and the technical side of Derbies and young dog training.
    Have fun!
    Tim
    Get a program and diagram each dog as they run. Compare your notes with the callbacks. make little notes about the handler, the dog etc. You may not line up with the judges but you can start to see patterns in what they are looking for.

Offer to help take birds at the line etc. You can learn a lot by being up there.

If you want to learn about Derby start a conversation with Bob. Don't know if email I gave you is good but Andrea may have his number.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

You just missed a trial a few miles from Wilmington last weekend. They run several at Rocky Point but are done for the spring. Contact the people Breck gave you plus add Ashley Kite as someone else mentioned.

I have a 9 month old BLF that I have been training , she is doing outstanding according to a few different people that has seen her train. question is, how does some one learn how to run a Derby? or for that matter any trials? Is there any resources out there ? I train 99% of the time alone.
    thanks for any information .
    In another post, I put the link for the Rule Book. You can download it to your phone for reference.

As for tests, I suggest you contact the Retriever News. You can pay them - I don't know the cost - for the National Derby Championship Issues for the past three years and get a feel for derby tests
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com