Two down the shore - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two down the shore

Quote Originally Posted by Followers View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but if I was to move the holding blind 75 or 100 yards off the shoreline that wouldn’t be a 2 down the shore.The two down the shore was the go bird at 75 yards with a angled back about 20 feet off of the water age. The memory bird was at 115 yards with a angle back through at about 20 feet of the water edge. He did good on the go bird as a single. The memory bird as a single is the one that he wants to swim almost to the end of the pond about 250 yards before he beaches . And he has a habit of doing that in different locations always wants to swim farther out then he should .
    Still on the same lines. Swimming an angle down the shore, but pulling the thrower back away from the shore let’s him know he has to get out. Get him comfortable with this and slowly move to what he was having issues with.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    Still on the same lines. Swimming an angle down the shore, but pulling the thrower back away from the shore let’s him know he has to get out. Get him comfortable with this and slowly move to what he was having issues with.
    But having the gunner 100 TDs off the shoreline kind of drastically changes the angles and picture and teaching concept of swimming past the gunner and staying in the water all the way to the bird

Sounds like he's been pre-programmed to swim to the end of the pond to get out. What is lacking is understanding that some times he need to get out in different locations-different angles. Me if I know he saw the mark, I'd let him swim beyond the mark (TWEET) NO-NICK!!! (TWEET TWEET TWEET) OVER. Re-run troubled mark as a single. Reset-up concept later in different local. Begin differing where and how he needs to get out. I might also setup 5 stake drills on the pond, to teach different entry and exit protocols. Seems Like he's only got one picture in his mind, for this pond (or any pond) so I'd use blind stake to teach him others. Then transition that to marking.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Followers View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but if I was to move the holding blind 75 or 100 yards off the shoreline that wouldn’t be a 2 down the shore.The two down the shore was the go bird at 75 yards with a angled back about 20 feet off of the water age. The memory bird was at 115 yards with a angle back through at about 20 feet of the water edge. He did good on the go bird as a single. The memory bird as a single is the one that he wants to swim almost to the end of the pond about 250 yards before he beaches . And he has a habit of doing that in different locations always wants to swim farther out then he should .
    Also, it sounds like you are throwing all the marks from a holding blind like a hunt test. Running hunt test is great, but I would recommend using white stick men or a t-shirt on a post, etc. to help teach concepts like these. Once the dog is comfortable with the concept, you can increase the difficulty and or take away the stickman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Sounds like he's been pre-programmed to swim to the end of the pond to get out. What is lacking is understanding that some times he need to get out in different locations-different angles. Me if I know he saw the mark, I'd let him swim beyond the mark (TWEET) NO-NICK!!! (TWEET TWEET TWEET) OVER. Re-run troubled mark as a single. Reset-up concept later in different local. Begin differing where and how he needs to get out. I might also setup 5 stake drills on the pond, to teach different entry and exit protocols. Seems Like he's only got one picture in his mind, for this pond (or any pond) so I'd use blind stake to teach him others. Then transition that to marking.
    I would try anything in my power to solve the issue of getting out of the water before I resulted in nicking to get him out. Pressure when the dog is giving effort or doing what he thinks is right can lead to some really bad issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    But having the gunner 100 TDs off the shoreline kind of drastically changes the angles and picture and teaching concept of swimming past the gunner and staying in the water all the way to the bird
    Keep the same line. Still the same angle, just further out.

Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

Here is a drill that may help.

https://billhillmann.net/2019/03/
    Mark Ottis

Thanks for the info that makes sense.I will try that on the next outing

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I would try anything in my power to solve the issue of getting out of the water before I resulted in nicking to get him out. Pressure when the dog is giving effort or doing what he thinks is right can lead to some really bad issues.
    I read that dog is a MH and 3yrs. of age. An Mh should already understand indirect collar pressure, either in or out of the water, on marks, on blind etc. Unless MH is meaning a lot less than it used to.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")