Two down the shore - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Two down the shore

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I read that dog is a MH and 3yrs. of age. An Mh should already understand indirect collar pressure, either in or out of the water, on marks, on blind etc. Unless MH is meaning a lot less than it used to.
    If it’s a puppy, MH or NFC, what is pressure going to solve if the dog is giving effort and trying to do what it thinks is right by staying in?
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Sounds like he's been pre-programmed to swim to the end of the pond to get out. What is lacking is understanding that some times he need to get out in different locations-different angles. Me if I know he saw the mark, I'd let him swim beyond the mark (TWEET) NO-NICK!!! (TWEET TWEET TWEET) OVER. Re-run troubled mark as a single. Reset-up concept later in different local. Begin differing where and how he needs to get out. I might also setup 5 stake drills on the pond, to teach different entry and exit protocols. Seems Like he's only got one picture in his mind, for this pond (or any pond) so I'd use blind stake to teach him others. Then transition that to marking.
    If a dog is lacking in understanding, I personally would not feel comfortable recommending pressure as the first step to work on.

I'd urge the reader to teach the dog and show the dog what is wanted. Then repeat. Help the dog clearly understand what's supposed to happen by some sort of simplification. Several good suggestions have been made.

Make down the shore and getting out at the bird just another day at the office.
    "Coach Sanderson said to have fun."
    - PSU 2017 NCAA champion wrestlers
    Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall and Bo Nickal

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."
    - Bill Hillmann - Decatur, IL; July 2017

"I knew exactly what to do the whole way. A lot of the handholds feel like old friends."
    - Alex Honnald - After completing the June 3, 2017 first ever Free Solo Climb of Yosemite National Park's El Capitan.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    If it’s a puppy, MH or NFC, what is pressure going to solve if the dog is giving effort and trying to do what it thinks is right by staying in?
    bjoiner , you are spot on , OP dog in my humble opinion is on the right side of the fence he's giving effort and staying in the water, maybe a bit of imbalance for water (not a bad thing) pressure into a factor(water) and beg them out (teach)

Good grief nicking a pup out of the water , you got love it!
    How The West was Won ( Colt) QA2
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief QA2 ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Working's Symphony of Addictions QA2
    Addicted to the Migration ( Goose) SH (My wifes dog)
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I do not know by what means you taught(or he learned) "de-cheating" but this maybe the origin.

You might try placing 3-4 visible piles down the shore and lining as a drill to each. The goal being teaching him that the line given tells him sometimes you get out and sometimes you swim past.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!