I would be interested in knowing about the qualified retrievers at the NARC - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I would be interested in knowing about the qualified retrievers at the NARC

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Kind of a pointless query.
    A well "trained" dog "qualified" for any National is all good.
    As other’s have stated, Not pointless to me! A 100% amateur trained dog making it gives me hope as an amateur. Of course ALL the Qualified dogs are awesome, but to me an amateur trained dog is on a whole different level! Amateur Handler vs. Amateur Handler that trained his own dog!
    Thanks for responding to my “pointless query”.

I am just sorry I didn’t state my initial thought and direction in my first post, but others seem to have picked up on it.

Sincerely,
    Dew
    Last edited by Cayuga Dew; 06-10-2019 at 05:57 AM.
    Duane Ray - Inventor of the 'Dewey Gunner" Retiring & Un-retiring Gunner-Available for purchase from Magee Retriever Products http://mageeproducts.com in July of 2019

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuga Dew
    A 100% amateur trained dog making it gives me hope as an amateur.
    It is possible, each NARC has several but it requires the perfect collision of circumstances, The right dog, the right time, with the right training group on the right grounds at that time in your life when you have the knowledge, time, money, dedication and luck to fulfill your hope. If you get there you will be scared to death waiting in the holding blind in the first series.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuga Dew View Post
    As other’s have stated, Not pointless to me! A 100% amateur trained dog making it gives me hope as an amateur. Of course ALL the Qualified dogs are awesome, but to me an amateur trained dog is on a whole different level! Amateur Handler vs. Amateur Handler that trained his own dog!
    Thanks for responding to my “pointless query”.

I am just sorry I didn’t state my initial though and direction in my first post, but others seem to have picked up on it.

Sincerely,
    Dew
    It is important to recognize that trainers, be they professional or amateur are not created equally. Being a professional trainer does not impart competence, there are many amateurs who are much more skilled than many professionals save the top tier of professionals. A good evaluation tool is look at the NRC qualifiers, when their handlers are amateurs those amateurs are also the likely trainers. Many successful amateurs use young dog trainers to do the dirty work, force fetch and collar conditioning and then do the rest.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    It is possible, each NARC has several but it requires the perfect collision of circumstances, The right dog, the right time, with the right training group on the right grounds at that time in your life when you have the knowledge, time, money, dedication and luck to fulfill your hope. If you get there you will be scared to death waiting in the holding blind in the first series.

Tim
    Tim,
    Thank you for your kind words and thought. Hopefully someday this "underdog" will get there.!
    BTW - Thank you for allow Joe and I to train on your property.
    Duane Ray - Inventor of the 'Dewey Gunner" Retiring & Un-retiring Gunner-Available for purchase from Magee Retriever Products http://mageeproducts.com in July of 2019

The top Amateurs are not stuck in Stage two but have found their way to Stage three.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    Of course it's all good. Taking a puppy from 7 weeks old all the way to the National Am without a pro seems better to me.
    Personally I think a GOOD amateur has the advantage. Consider how hard it is to make an FC then consider doing it with a truck load of dogs. First and foremost it takes a dog and a damn good one!
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 06-10-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post

Tim

Could not have said it better!!!!!!!!!