Black lab aggressiveness? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black lab aggressiveness?

Yes, I had a big, strong, powerful handsome black male who was a dream to train. He started showing aggression about nine months old toward other dogs, no matter the age or sex. As he got older and more sure of himself, he got worse. He snapped at my eight year old niece, hated cats, and looked to pick fights. His thyroid was tested, he had no other health issues. I consulted a very good trainer and worked with him for five or more years. He just kept getting worse. At nine and a half I made the agonizing decision to put him down. My nerves were in shreds. He, and I are at peace now.
    Jo Ann
    Connecticut

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

No. Dogs show aggression when something has threatened them. If there were no signs prior going to trainer I would have a serious inquiry with them on their technique. Monitor the kids behavior carefully and teach proper care and respect of a an8mal - they can be rough on a young dog thinking it is play. There is a book written by Trainers “the Lost Dogs” that is worth the read

Quote Originally Posted by Rochester hunter View Post
    Has anyone had a lab that showed aggression towards kids? I have a 1yr old black Male that has recently came back from the trainer. Hes been great with my kids ( 15yr old girl and 11yr old boy) and my nephews, but hes snapped at a couple of their friends. Both times it was 10 yr old boys. Anyone dealt with this before?
    I would have a talk with the 10 year olds, and teasing. Not to generalize, but they are prone to being sneaky
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have a female that used to not deal with shall we call them "annoyances" well, she liked her "people"others not so much. At 2 yrs. I would not have left her alone with young dogs or young children. She was as we call it a spoiled child. I always was wondering what the heck this is a lab. FWD a few years, somehow 2 well "mannered" children seduced my dog away from my truck, gave her a bumper? food? something?, proceeded to put a pink boa on her and tiara, which she loved. WTF!!!? I have no idea what the kids did expect being respectful, but as she has aged she has become more tolerant of annoying influences, I wish I would follow suit . All I can say is trust your gut if you think something is wrong, it is. But also remember that children can be quite annoying, and you're in charge. Don't allow your dog to be out in situations that you can't control.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-16-2019 at 01:11 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Has anyone had a lab that showed aggression towards kids? I have a 1yr old black Male that has recently came back from the trainer. Hes been great with my kids ( 15yr old girl and 11yr old boy) and my nephews, but hes snapped at a couple of their friends. Both times it was 10 yr old boys. Anyone dealt with this before?
    My opinion will differ from others. I don't consider what little you described about this problem as an aggression problem. Not all dogs like strange dogs or people in their face. This is as common as dogs who do like that. Most exhibit some type of avoidance even when the owner puts their face to their own dog. Some like it some don't some are indifferent. What I see more and more is people think these are children and relate to them as such and that helps me pay the bills. This is most likely part of your dogs temperament ,and is very easily managed. I consider a snap a very considerate warning.

Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My opinion will differ from others. I don't consider what little you described about this problem as an aggression problem. Not all dogs like strange dogs or people in their face. This is as common as dogs who do like that. Most exhibit some type of avoidance even when the owner puts their face to their own dog. Some like it some don't some are indifferent. What I see more and more is people think these are children and relate to them as such and that helps me pay the bills. This is most likely part of your dogs temperament ,and is very easily managed. I consider a snap a very considerate warning.

Pete
    Pete, I wish they had a Like icon here!
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Pete
    True as this may be I often find myself working with the dog to become more tolerant of inappropriate behavior from children. Parenting in the 2000's being what it is - the dog will pay for the parents tolerating the kids misbehavior, if not.
    Darrin Greene