Cnn - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cnn

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Are people who are bilingual a threat to you because your post certainly indicates it?

People that can speak another language other than English are better prepared for the future.

18% of the U S Population is Hispanic which amounts to 60 million. A segment of the population alienated by Republicans and their Nationalist policies.

The future belongs to those capable of adapting to change.
    Melania Trump speaks 6 languages, fluently.

You were saying?

(my apologies to those who just spit their coffee through their nose)
    Last edited by road kill; 06-29-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Are people who are bilingual a threat to you because your post certainly indicates it?

People that can speak another language other than English are better prepared for the future.

18% of the U S Population is Hispanic which amounts to 60 million. A segment of the population alienated by Republicans and their Nationalist policies.

https://www.ted.com/talks/lera_borod...nk?language=en

Language affects how you think. It is the operating system of the human brain. If people want the benefit of what America has to offer humanity, one has to come to terms with the fact that the English language is what has made it possible. Another way of looking at it, is that the American dream can only be fully realized thru the English language. Those that speak more than one language are not more capable of change, it is those that THINK in a language that allows for the possibility of growth and greater adaptability. Is English, the best language for the world speak, might not prove to be so in the future, but it has proven itself able to adopt to change and can be attributed for spreading democracy rather than tyranny. Long live English!

Continuing on the language topic: Several years ago I had next-door neighbors who were teaching at the local Univ. They happened to be from India. I once asked them if they hated the Brits. One of them replied that although no one likes to be colonized, the Brits unified India by introducing some western ideas, and by forcing the English language on the populace. English is now the "official" language in India. Apparently there are around 250 local Indian dialects which are not universally understood. If you remember the story of the Tower of Babel, God introduced different languages to weaken the people. Every time you get on an airplane (esp. if you are traveling overseas) aren't you glad that all air traffic control is done in one language (happens to be english, but that's not really important). Don't get me wrong, being multilingual is great, and I wish I spoke Spanish fluently (Farsi and Mandarin would be nice too) but ALL Americans need to speak English. We need to quit printing government papers in multiple languages. We need to force people to learn English to function in our society.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post

Language affects how you think. It is the operating system of the human brain. If people want the benefit of what America has to offer humanity, one has to come to terms with the fact that the English language is what has made it possible. Another way of looking at it, is that the American dream can only be fully realized thru the English language. Those that speak more than one language are not more capable of change, it is those that THINK in a language that allows for the possibility of growth and greater adaptability. Is English, the best language for the world speak, might not prove to be so in the future, but it has proven itself able to adopt to change and can be attributed for spreading democracy rather than tyranny. Long live English!
    I teach 3rd grade in a small farm town that is 97% Hispanic. Most of our kids are low academically. The #1 reason for this is the lack of English language. I would estimate that 90% of these kid are born in the US. Many never become proficient in English. Most of those kids have few options other than field work. For those that learn to read, write and speak English proficiently, the world is there oyster.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER SH -- Reggie

This is a true statement.

I hope it can be applicable to You in the future and 2nd term of Donald Trump!
    john mccallie

cornbread and ice tea 's took the place of pills and 90 proof

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    I teach 3rd grade in a small farm town that is 97% Hispanic. Most of our kids are low academically. The #1 reason for this is the lack of English language. I would estimate that 90% of these kid are born in the US. Many never become proficient in English. Most of those kids have few options other than field work. For those that learn to read, write and speak English proficiently, the world is there oyster.
    Back in the late 60's early 70's when I was in Jr high and high school, it was against the rules to speak Spanish anywhere but in Spanish class. Many hispanic parents recognized the value of speaking English well and wanted their children to prosper so supported such rules. It was also considered impolite to speak Spanish when around folks who weren't bi-lingual. Then something changed. People were told that they didn't need to assimilate. The idea of the great Salad Bowl somehow replaced the melting pot. The government began catering to folks who didn't speak English by not only printing government forms in Spanish, French, Vietnamese, etc., but by forcing business to post various notifications in more than one language. All of this allows people to just get along, not prosper, without ever having to speak English. The proliferation of Spanish speaking TV channels hasn't helped the situation either. It really annoys me to meet someone who has been here for 50-60-70yrs, and either can't speak English at all, or just barely. It's a real problem.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Pretty amazing to watch American Presidential hopefuls debating in Spanish. All you need to know right there!
    I forget where I heard it this morning, but the report said Beto's Spanish was pretty bad. Guess I'll never know.
    I used to be M&Ks Retrievers but for some reason I could no longer post. Ya think the mods trying to tell me something?

You were saying?

This post is silly at best.
    "No figure, regardless of the heights they've reached and no figure regardless of the office they occupy, should be allowed in this country to cry witch hunt or fake news in an attempt to deflect their criminal wrongdoing."

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post

The last that I checked, those that attempted to use a little Spanish in the debate speak English as their first language.

That was hard for me to type. That's because in my mind, the Central Americans and for the most part the Mexicans versions of the Spanish language is as far for the origins as what Americans speak in comparison to the English.
    "No figure, regardless of the heights they've reached and no figure regardless of the office they occupy, should be allowed in this country to cry witch hunt or fake news in an attempt to deflect their criminal wrongdoing."

You were saying?

Its funny how people pick and choose stuff that fits their agenda.. Throughout this thread the Democratic presidential candidates got slated for speaking different languages now the first lady is as smart as can be for being able to speak different languages?