Finally gonna get some answers
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally gonna get some answers

Default Finally gonna get some answers

After longer than I expected or wanted, Im taking my pup to Miss St next week to try and find out once and for all why she hasnt had a heat cycle. Ive tried meds, adding weight, not training, putting her with other dogs in heat without any success. Shes over 4 now and its now or never. Ive talked to a multitude of qualified vets, trainers, breeders and that information has brought us to this point. Wish us luck to find an answer. Anyone that has had similar issues, please feel free to post. thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg0211 View Post
    After longer than I expected or wanted, Im taking my pup to Miss St next week to try and find out once and for all why she hasnt had a heat cycle. Ive tried meds, adding weight, not training, putting her with other dogs in heat without any success. Shes over 4 now and its now or never. Ive talked to a multitude of qualified vets, trainers, breeders and that information has brought us to this point. Wish us luck to find an answer. Anyone that has had similar issues, please feel free to post. thank you
    Anyone done an ultrasound to confirm that she has ovaries? I know a bitch who had her first heat cycle at 5 and has 2 normal but small litters.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Anyone done an ultrasound to confirm that she has ovaries?
    He was told to do an US a year ago
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Hate to be the one to say this, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone. Unless this is THE most outstanding performing bitch, do we really want to breed a dog that has an abnormal reproductive system???
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    He was told to do an US a year ago
    It was mentioned that i should at that time, but Dr Payne suggested a med to try first and then I had cancer surgery, so it wasnt a priority. I appreciate your concern!

I just went through a similar situation with my 5 year old lab. She is a well bred dog from FT lines, per the breeder the bitch was 2 yrs when she had her 1st cycle so there is a history in the lines......so I wasn't concerned early on. Mine finally had her 1st and only cycle at 4.5 years. At 4 she was diagnosed as hypo-thyroid and I would recommend that be one of the first items looked at if others are in a similar situation. Though we are on daily meds she has not had another cycle since. Looking at her, numerous vets have stated they never thought she would be hypo-thyroid, she is lean, energetic, coat is shiny....but a little thin. In hindsight I am frustrated that my first vet did not do the full thyroid panel.....it became a sticking point between us and I finally went to a different vet and sure enough was diagnosed by Mich St as hypo-thyroid.

Regarding Nates comment, I really do respect what he adds. My dog just had ACL surgery two weeks ago so we are doing rehab. If she ever does come into heat I will not breed her. I really do like her and would have loved to have one of her pups, she is a great dog, but with the history of the thyroid/reproduction issues, now the ACL, and she is an EIC carrier (she has no titles, I don't do the dog games but respect those that do), I am just going to enjoy her for what she is, a fine dog.

Side note - my prior female had reproduction issues too. Again well bred dog. She would come into heat but would not stand for a male. So next go round we did a side by side....she had a 3 pup litter, 2 survived and there were issues. A year later we tried again, she wouldn't stand so we again did a side by side. This time she didn't take and 7 months later died of kidney failure at 6 years old. This may have no relevance at all but some times I think mother nature is telling us that maybe we shouldn't force the issue.

I do wish you well in your search for answers and am hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Anyone done an ultrasound to confirm that she has ovaries? I know a bitch who had her first heat cycle at 5 and has 2 normal but small litters.
    I was advised by Dr Payne to try a series on Cabergolen(?) first and and then we would go from there. I had a cancer set back and am now in a position to do all the tests to find out what the next steps are going to be. Shes healthy as a horse. Very nice Ali line girl. It would be a shame if shes not able to breed.

Thank you for your response. We had a full thyroid panel done over a year ago it can back normal. Shelby is a really nice dog, not great but above average. HRCH, MH and competitive in limited Qualifyings. I really had given up hope, but in March, my 7 year old male started chasing her around the yard and hasnt stopped since. I thought it might be a silent heat and had her checked. No signs of any heat. any male dog that she comes in contact with licks and tries to mount her, but sh has no outward signs and i recently had her checked again when she got her last 6 month heartworm shot. Im going to do these tests and find out one way or the other. Id love to have a pup out of her, but if not, there are tons of nice dogs out there.

Thank you for your response. We had a full thyroid panel done over a year ago it can back normal. Shelby is a really nice dog, not great but above average. HRCH, MH and competitive in limited Qualifyings. I really had given up hope, but in March, my 7 year old male started chasing her around the yard and hasnt stopped since. I thought it might be a silent heat and had her checked. No signs of any heat. any male dog that she comes in contact with licks and tries to mount her, but sh has no outward signs and i recently had her checked again when she got her last 6 month heartworm shot. Im going to do these tests and find out one way or the other. Id love to have a pup out of her, but if not, there are tons of nice dogs out there.
    I had a bitch that didn't come in season and at 3 1/2 years old we tested her thyroid. It was normal but on the low side of normal. We started her on thyroid meds and she came in heat within a few months. I bred her twice after that and she had normal litters, only one puppy also had a low thyroid test. Of all the issues that purebred dogs can and do have, low thyroid (as long as it is still somewhat functioning) is one of the easiest and cheapest to deal with and is not always heritable. My repro vet usually supplements thyroid levels even on normal testing bitches when they are in whelp to help ensure that the puppies are carried to full term. Worth at least checking out and asking for exact test results.

Gregg, Very sorry about your personal issue. Best of luck with that. I have had some physical issues over the past year and it really sucks, but nothing as you are going through. Prayers for a full remission.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH