Quote from Ed re: demographics - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quote from Ed re: demographics

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    The guy from "Route 66?" - he was declared demographically defunct 4-5 years ago.

MG
    I knew Bob when he was a Captain in the Army @ Ft. Lewis.
    Took a washout named Toni's Blaine Child from a $125 washout
    to a dog sold for $5,000.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I train often with a young lady that has just graduated 8th grade. She's trained her CLM into finished.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Joe Schimpf

HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee.......500pt. club
    River Joes Lil Homeboy
    River Joes On Dee Tiger's Tail

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Fisher View Post
    The bird dog games have suffered a lot more. The biggest pool for these sports are hunters. With wild birds virtually extinct in most parts of the country, there is no new blood in the bird dog world.

There are TONS of duck hunters. HRC, AKC HT is the obvious first choice for that crew. Each wave of that will generate a few folks that see a FT and get the hook in them. The age doesn't matter. It will just hook some folks. They see a dog do something they didn't know possible and they want to do it.

A mentor will help them get success in whatever venue they choose. Be a mentor to new people.
    I am young by Ed's definition (51). I got a lab because a few years ago I focused my hunting efforts on waterfowl and pheasants, as opposed to big game. I had a new friend come hunting with my crew and he brought one of his labs, a little fireball who retrieved 40 big Canadas and 34 ducks. I have had many pointing dogs, one who won running against the big boys in your great country, but never had I seen such a performance as this lab. My hunting partners and I just kept looking at each other and shaking our heads at what were seeing. At that moment, I decided I needed a lab. Started to reach out to field trial folks here in Canada, and ended up getting a Deets pup from Clubmead Labradors (breeders of Chopper). That new friend, along with my dog's breeders, Stu and Diana Mead, have mentored me in how to train this pup who is now 16 months. I am over the moon happy with my lab. Full of drive, smart as a whip, and wants nothing more than to make me happy. I know you folks know what I am talking about, but I am still surprised by him all the time. He just loves to do the work. He lives for it. I am the weak link in this chain for sure. My pup is running in his first three hunt tests next weekend, and I cannot wait. Then my teen son, his friend, and I are throwing birds in a hunt test as well as a field trial in August. I am hooked.

Mentors have made all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 06-18-2019 at 11:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I'm doing my part - my wife bought me a finished dog a few years back for hunting. That guy is still with us and started a bit of an addiction. I now have five Chocolates at home and we run HRC as a family. Titled two of them as started - technically three, but one was the finished dog and we didn't train him - and working on two more.

My pup is two and we should get our first two seasoned passes in August. My wife's dog is a sister to that one and should be ready for started at the same time. My 15 year old son and 13 year old daughter handle the other two dogs.

Not sure about field trials or anything past HRCH titles for now. One step at a time, as we are fairly new to all this. But, my kids absolutely love it and the help offered to them at tests and our club has been outstanding!

"This month, Bernhardt announced a proposal to open 1.4 million more acres to hunting and fishing at 74 national wildlife refuges and 15 national fish hatcheries. After a public comment period, he hopes to have the land open in time for the September dove season."

It would sure help in New York if some of this land could be opened for retriever training and testing. We are losing many because they have no where to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Not to hijack the other discussion but this is from Ed A. It's pretty sad that this is where the dog games are headed. FT's ad Ht's both

In the last 5 +/- years we have lost 5 of what I consider the younger crowd, that is people younger than 60.
    Unfortunately that number in North Texas has increased by one as one of our good guys has called it quits after two generations of dogs, having titled three and distinguished himself as as a good judge and someone always willing to help at the field trial. The attrition rate is troubling.

Not only are people dropping out here in the midwest, it seems the entries, in both hunt tests and trials are falling. There have been a number of derbies not drawing enough entries to hold an event. The latest, Norther Flights in Minnesota, 7 derby entries and 22 qual dogs. Can a club continue to hold trials with numbers like that? Not long ago master hunt tests were filling up in minutes and now are not filling up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Running View Post
    Not only are people dropping out here in the midwest, it seems the entries, in both hunt tests and trials are falling. There have been a number of derbies not drawing enough entries to hold an event. The latest, Norther Flights in Minnesota, 7 derby entries and 22 qual dogs. Can a club continue to hold trials with numbers like that? Not long ago master hunt tests were filling up in minutes and now are not filling up at all.
    Thomas,
    In VA, we just had a double Q, one with 39 entries and the other with 40. Most of the ones I have seen recently have had about 30 dogs.
    MH tests are filling in about 90 seconds, with people on the waiting list. I think the MH test numbers could be attributable to the Master National being held only a few hous from VA this year, however. Perhaps when the qualifying period ends, we may see a different number of dogs for the MH tests.
    -Mike