Barracuda Blue progeny
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barracuda Blue progeny

Default Barracuda Blue progeny

I’m looking for some feedback from people with experience with Barracuda Blue pups- I read some historical forums here (they were from several years ago) that mainly referenced looks and possibly being vocal on the line. I’m interested to know thoughts from those that owned or trained them on what their strengths and weaknesses were mentally and physically in performance and then in producing later down the line.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

I own three male progeny from Barracuda Blue ranging from 16 months to 11 years. My oldest is vocal in the kennel but never on the line or in the duck blind. The other two do not seem to bark as much in the kennel and are quite on the line. The oldest is a 6XGRHRCH UH MH MNH. I have never heard of a vocal pup on the line but I guess that would depend on if the cross was with a vocal line such as Pachanga, Cosmo,etc. I have one female that has Him crossed on both sides, I will say a loose line breeding , and she is also vocal in the kennel but not on the line. All are excellent markers, even One-Eyed Willie. They do not take a lot of pressure to train but I find that true of most of the dogs today and these dogs learn well on a lower collar setting. Willie and Foot are brothers out of two different litters and they are larger dogs with tons of drive. I only thought that the older one “Cuda” had a lot of drive until we got these two. However, they are not breaking dogs. As they say if you play the game long enough , all dogs break and Cuda broke at two years old in a finished test, again at about 7 in the upland at the grand with a low flying chukar and again at age 11 , again at the grand in the second series. For the number of test he has ran , not to bad and good to see the old man still has the desire. My Cuda is the dog that wants to always please you and strives to do whatever you want him to do. The younger two are absolutely wild about the game and play the game to satisfy their desire more than that of their owner. A difference in breeding but not necessarily a bad thing either way. These dogs have all the heart for the game. Barracuda Blue was one of the greats in chocolates and I don’t think anyone can dispute that he was a great producer for field trial dogs /hunt test dogs.
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    6xGRHRCH UH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH MNH **"CUDA"
    5xGRHRCH UH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MH MNH7**"GUMP"
    HRCH Cuda's Scooby Doo From Big Mamou MH "Scooby"(One Grand pass)
    HRCH Big Mamou's I Yam What I Yam MH"Popeye"
    HRCH Big Mamou's One Eyed Willie SH "Willie"

We have a barracuda grandson. He has lots of drive doesn't need a lot of pressure. Really wants to please. Does bark in the Kennel but not on the line. Very focused on line.We used Bill Hillmans training a retriever puppy and he did really well. One thing you may notice is that they may lift a paw up on the line but no big deal. As championretrievers said the vocalness and breaking depends on the breeding.You wont be dissapointed in getting one of these dogs

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by championretrievers View Post
    “ A difference in breeding but not necessarily a bad thing either way. These dogs have all the heart for the game. Barracuda Blue was one of the greats in chocolates”.
    Thank you for your time in such a detailed response! I actually followed litters by your male Barracuda Brown in the event I was unable to find a Barracuda Blue litter advertised to the public.

I have my own Barracuda Blue daughter now (11 weeks today) and as an amateur who loves learning bloodlines, I was finding it difficult to find more current literature about his progeny (which is understandable considering how many years have passed).
    The genesis for my questions has a lot to do with finding the right training situation for her as she matures.

In your personal opinion, were there lines that Barracuda Blue crossed with that were notable to you? I find that he was quite prolific and as a newbie to the bloodline game, I’m finding it difficult to find current high performance chocolate lines without him in it in it somewhere.

With the research I’ve done, I see Tiger McBunn, Sweet Potato Pie, Storm’s Riptide Star (I’m sure I’m missing quite a few so I appreciate the education). The chocolate factored sires have been less evident to me as of now but I’ve been starting research on those lines as well. Again, I do appreciate the time and education.

As a chocolate FC, probably the most prolific in terms of the lines that produced the most FC's. Black and Brown, Blue Ryder, CUDASHUDABENA PLAYGIRL Pirate, Moda, Roux, Drake, Ammo, Mastro, Hex. A bunch of AKC HT and UKC HT multi-titled offspring. Probably others I'm not remembering, go back to Cuba. I like them as they have always been Am friendly, good line manners etc. I've never had one with a noise issue, though they do woo woo rather than yip yip. I like that as a chocolate sire he has been bred to several different blood-lines and many breeding having nothing to do with the chocolate color, so he's pretty well spread through out the field lines. Some of individual dogs have had CCL issues, but no real proof that such is genetic; they also tend to be bigger dogs with good drive.

Other chocolates for your list, It's All over Baby Blue, Elwood, Tide, Tick. High tech CEO. Chuppa, Tab
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-14-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah6105 View Post
    The chocolate factored sires have been less evident to me as of now but I’ve been starting research on those lines as well.
    The top sticky thread under the stud dog forum has the information you seek:
    https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...factored-studs

Barracuda Blue is an EIC carrier. Just saying, not arguing.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Joe Schimpf

HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee.......500pt. club
    River Joes Lil Homeboy
    River Joes On Dee Tiger's Tail

Quote Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
    So was FC Blue Rider and so was FC AFC Roux MH, who has a very large portion of pups that have preformed at high levels inspite of Roux EIC carrier status. Ammo =EIC carrier as well. Roux brother Drake has about the same number of offspring; he was EIC clear, but he also unfortunately died at a young age. Masetro might be the boy to watch from Drake. FC HRCH Buddy MH Q2A out of Roux, although he's got quite a few titled son's I've been keeping an eye on. Drakes offspring are more rare, but I've been hoping they would pop up.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-15-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDynasty View Post
    The top sticky thread under the stud dog forum has the information you seek:
    https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...factored-studs
    Sorry I should’ve clarified that I was looking at historical lines and prolific sires. I’m following the performance of the sires of interest to me running currently, but I was looking more at those sites that were trademark names in chocolates- like Cuda, Roux, Tyra, Ammo, plus the names I mentioned above. I appreciate the tip though- I will certainly check out that page as I’m new to this forum.
    Last edited by Bekah6105; 06-15-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
    I’m aware he’s a carrier thanks!