New HRC Camo policy
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New HRC Camo policy

Default New HRC Camo policy

This forum is Dead, not even a mention o f the new HRC Camo policy, but if you go to the "unofficial"facebook page, prepare to be entertained. I've been watching for several days it's good; who knew ALL the various items that came in every type of Camo . Men-s-Plaid-Scottish-Tactical-Skirt-Camouflage-Anti-wear-Outdoor-Camping-Hiking-Combat-Scotland-.jpg
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

The board of directors decided camo is mandatory. The game is fun!!! I will wear camo and enjoy playing the game.
    Mark Land

My only concern is for handling on blinds. Solid brown or any solid earth color is better than camo for handling on a blind - esp if you have a background with lots of trees or brush close behind you and they place the blind 150 yd out... Otherwise, I really don't care - camo up and have fun.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Light colored camo jacket/shirt..

Camo gloves with black palms..

I already wear camo and I have not had any issues with my dog not seeing me on a 100 yard blind.

I have found it ridiculous how many cry babies are distraught over this.

All it did was try to clarify the rule so the Judges weren't having to be the fashion police.

It's a pretty simple and easy to follow policy.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    My only concern is for handling on blinds. Solid brown or any solid earth color is better than camo for handling on a blind - esp if you have a background with lots of trees or brush close behind you and they place the blind 150 yd out... Otherwise, I really don't care - camo up and have fun.
    I was once a real duck hunter . I was hunting down in Del. with a client / friend. He shot a duck that ended up across the water . We were in tall Phragmites Grass and the man had camo on that matched the area . He was trying to handle his dog on a cripple . Dog seemed not to see him. I asked if I could try and was given the keys to the dog . I took off my camo jacket and had on a white sweat shit. One cast and had the dog going down creek to the duck. "John said he leaned something that day " By the way ,I hunted the Susquehanna river for 20+ years and always had white under my camo in case I had to handle a dog at a distance.
    And tell me the last time you shot at a duck 150 yards away . I find hunt test getting a
    little crazy .

Quote Originally Posted by James Seibel View Post
    I was once a real duck hunter . I was hunting down in Del. with a client / friend. He shot a duck that ended up across the water . We were in tall Phragmites Grass and the man had camo on that matched the area . He was trying to handle his dog on a cripple . Dog seemed not to see him. I asked if I could try and was given the keys to the dog . I took off my camo jacket and had on a white sweat shit. One cast and had the dog going down creek to the duck. "John said he leaned something that day " By the way ,I hunted the Susquehanna river for 20+ years and always had white under my camo in case I had to handle a dog at a distance.
    And tell me the last time you shot at a duck 150 yards away . I find hunt test getting a
    little crazy .
    You don't shoot a duck 150 yards away, you RETRIEVE a duck 150 yards away. Probably lots of times and probably farther than 150 yards.

little crazy .
    When I ran NAHRA the distances were limited (still are) to 100 yd. In many tests the scenario given often was that we had hunting buddies positioned at these other spots (the other gun stations) and our dogs were picking up for them as well.

I remember hunting a rather popular spot in AK and my dog marked the falls of the other folks hunting around the edge of the swamp/pond (over 150 yd away) He was dismayed not to be allowed to pick them up. hahahaha....

But I agree that generally, most retrieves by a solo hunter and his dog are going to be far less than 100 yd... I think, in HRC, they should ALWAYS have attn getting sound at any mark over 80 yd. But that's me and I am sure it is a rule that isn't going to change.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

little crazy .
    Well that was "actual hunting conditions" and actual hunters make sure that the dog can see them when handling.
    In hunt tests that simulate "actual hunting conditions" the variable of the dog possibly not seeing the handler is apparently very important.
    "Tigerfan is more victim than villain....but then, you already knew that." blind ambition

When I hunt N Dakota I will carry a light tyvek painters jacket. I have tried to handle in camo and when my partner took the canoe to help the dog he said he could barely see me. When hunting I want that duck retrieved as quickly as possible. Wearing a white jacket is not going to flair more ducks than all the arm flailing and whistles if the dog cannot see me.

For hunt tests there are enough camo patterns and colors that you can be very visible and yet be in camo. We are usually running tests when the grass and trees are green, the Optifade marsh pattern sticks out like a sore thumb. But yet you are in “camo”.

Speaking of long retrieves, we have done a 250yards water blind a few times. That is one reason I train frequently at field trial distances, so we have that tool in our pocket.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Early season duck hunting, I often wear a short sleeved, camo T-shirt. To protect my
    old and not so tanned arms from the obvious (sun and insects), I use Calamine lotion.

Calamine and zinc oxide (Calamine Lotion) is a "white" mixture of components used
    to relieve the itching and pain from poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac, sunburns, and
    insect and bug bites.

I did not read in the HRC rule book that short sleeves and/or Calomine lotion were illegal.

note: If the test is during cold weather or rain, this might be a "tough sell".
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 06-16-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com