New HRC Camo policy - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New HRC Camo policy

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Fisher View Post
    Pretty simple work-around. Wear a dark timber camo pattern if the background is grass or light colored. If you're in front of a wall of dark cedars, wear a light marsh camo.
    That’s exactly what I’ve always done in hrc I have a killer weed handlers jacket that is so light colored it stands out just about everywhere. Also have a dark green tree bark lightweight shirt that stands out in lighter backgrounds. Is the rule head to toe Camo now? Makes me think of the girl that was required to wear a cup when she played little league baseball as the rules stated but she just taped hers to her ankle, some people will find a way around the rules.
    "Proud Member of Black Labs Matter Movement"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

FYI Camo crying towels are also required at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by wsumner View Post
    FYI Camo crying towels are also required at the line.
    Wayne,
    TOO FUNNY. 👍

Mikey ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Anyone know if the Policy prohibiting a dog from Honoring in the "down" position was addressed at the meeting?-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    I don't understand the change in policy because I always thought camo was mandatory anyway, unless the policy has been slipping because handlers want to make sure their dogs see them when handling, and when really hunting hunters do change attire so the dogs see them, why should the camo culture be more important than being fair to the dog should be of primary importance?
    The rules in HRC have been a mess. The Grand Committee had created its own camo requirements for the Grand over the years without going thru the normal rule making process within HRC. For instance, the Grand has required that all contestants wear a camo hat, women included, and that the hat stay glued to the handlers head - not in their hand. Also, the hat could not be a visor at the Grand. Some of the folks who judged the Grand would bring these "rules" back to the weekend tests, ever though they weren't in fact HRC rules. I believe this recent camo change was an effort to clean up the nonsense the Grand committee hand done by circumventing the established rule making process.

And, I agree with you - these HRC rules are a joke. If you're going to judge the dog work, then judge the dog work and not whether the dog can see a camo wearing handler, sometimes in very low light conditions.

I'm hunted waterfowl and big game on most continents. And I've taken the majority of my big game with archery gear and waterfowl while not wearing camo but by standing motionless behind brush, etc. The idea that camo is required to simulate a "real hunting experience" is simply inaccurate and are the views of those who have bought the camouflage manufacturer's marketing spin hook, line and sinker - that you can't be successful as a hunter without wearing the latest, most expensive camouflage head to toe.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Anyone know if the Policy prohibiting a dog from Honoring in the "down" position was addressed at the meeting?-Paul
    Paul their is a rule change proposal coming out to clarify the wording about the honoring position. It will be voted on this year.

If the number of dogs running HRC tests goes down in the next 12 months, they'll change the policy. HRC is experiencing alot of growth. Alot of new handlers that participate in other dog games. I don't want to see it turn into blue jeans and black shirts.

I don't really care about it. I've worn camo to HRC tests since I first started, one of the things I like about it. I'm sure AKC tests started out with handlers NOT wearing black shirts, now you see alot of handlers where them.

I laugh when people say "I don't wear camo when I'm hunting", I bet they don't care if their dog slips a few whistles or runs the bank! As long as they get the bird!

I really haven't had much of a problem with wearing camo and handling a dog at hunt-test distances. Unless it was early morning light or the sun was going down. That said I bought this color a few months ago, and my dogs have had a really hard time seeing it. Lost a dog in a master test, who was completely clean because she couldn't see me, but could see the judges in their lighter greenish camo. Must has something to do with colors dogs can and can't see, but this obviously isn't close enough to flat-black. Won't be wearing it to handle a dog again. canvas.jpg
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Some of you who know me know that I umpire girls/women's fast pitch softball. I have done so for three different organizations. Each has a little different twist on umpire mechanics. Where to position yourself on certain calls, which umpire has what responsibilities on certain plays, etc.... Each has their own reason for how they do it. I have my preference and bias as to which I think is best. The players and coaches don't care how I do it they just want the correct call, but I always REPSPECT the rules of the organization I am working for and do it their way on game day.

Wear you your camo. Your dog doesn't care. He's just picking up ducks. The organization your "working" for that weekend does care.
    Mark Ottis

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    Some of you who know me know that I umpire girls/women's fast pitch softball. I have done so for three different organizations. Each has a little different twist on umpire mechanics. Where to position yourself on certain calls, which umpire has what responsibilities on certain plays, etc.... Each has their own reason for how they do it. I have my preference and bias as to which I think is best. The players and coaches don't care how I do it they just want the correct call, but I always REPSPECT the rules of the organization I am working for and do it their way on game day.

Wear you your camo. Your dog doesn't care. He's just picking up ducks. The organization your "working" for that weekend does care.
    Well, at least you're getting paid to respect the rules... lol