My first National experience as a handler.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first National experience as a handler.

Default My first National experience as a handler.

I just want to say this has been one of the best experiences of my life. Oakley took me through 8 series of our first National Amateur Championship. The heart this dog has is as big as Texas. She and I smiled the whole time and had a blast. One of the marshals commented today that if there was a first and second place for having fun and enjoying the experience, Oakley would have won, and I would have been a close second.

Too many people to thank. Thanks to my beautiful wife and family first. I love all of you.

Thank to Lynn Troy. She deserves a ton of credit for making Oakley into the awesome girl she is. Thank you for all your work, care and friendship.

Thank you to my pre-National training group. Wayne Curtis, Rob Erhardt and Paul Knutson had every dog and handler ready, but more importantly, we had fun, a lot of fun.

I’d also like to thank Bert Windham. One of the best friends you could ask for. It’s a damn lot of fun when you you truly want two dogs to win. Now go kick ass with Luke. Couldn’t have ever imagined when we got these two litter mates, we would be a threat at a National.

Speaking of friends, Jim Houldridge. You just don’t get any better. This guy has a special place in Heaven. He will give you the shirt off his back. By the way he has a pretty good breeding program. When three dogs from his dam not only qualify but push the late series in a National, you’ve done something right.

The judges couldn’t have been better. They set up unbelievably challenging tests, well thought out and very fair. There callbacks to each series were consistent and fair. They were very encouraging to me as a first timer and as friendly as could be. The workers that put this thing on were top notch.

I heard over 14,000 dogs (may be entries) ran trying to qualify for this National. We were one of 128 dogs to run and in the final 37 dogs in the country. I got a bad ass dog. We’ll be back next year and many more.

Thank you Oakley most of all. Belly rubs tonight.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    AFC Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Congratulations Bubba and Oakley - It was a lot of fun rooting for you and Oakley from behind the computer. Look forward to seeing where you two will go in years to come.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I just want to say this has been one of the best experiences of my life. Oakley took me through 8 series of our first National Amateur Championship. The heart this dog has is as big as Texas. She and I smiled the whole time and had a blast. One of the marshals commented today that if there was a first and second place for having fun and enjoying the experience, Oakley would have won, and I would have been a close second.

Too many people to thank. Thanks to my beautiful wife and family first. I love all of you.

Thank to Lynn Troy. She deserves a ton of credit for making Oakley into the awesome girl she is. Thank you for all your work, care and friendship.

Thank you to my pre-National training group. Wayne Curtis, Rob Erhardt and Paul Knutson had every dog and handler ready, but more importantly, we had fun, a lot of fun.

I’d also like to thank Bert Windham. One of the best friends you could ask for. It’s a damn lot of fun when you you truly want two dogs to win. Now go kick ass with Luke. Couldn’t have ever imagined when we got these two litter mates, we would be a threat at a National.

Speaking of friends, Jim Houldridge. You just don’t get any better. This guy has a special place in Heaven. He will give you the shirt off his back. By the way he has a pretty good breeding program. When three dogs from his dam not only qualify but push the late series in a National, you’ve done something right.

The judges couldn’t have been better. They set up unbelievably challenging tests, well thought out and very fair. There callbacks to each series were consistent and fair. They were very encouraging to me as a first timer and as friendly as could be. The workers that put this thing on were top notch.

I heard over 14,000 dogs (may be entries) ran trying to qualify for this National. We were one of 128 dogs to run and in the final 37 dogs in the country. I got a bad ass dog. We’ll be back next year and many more.

Thank you Oakley most of all. Belly rubs tonight.
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing your Vivid picture of a great experience

You may not have made it to the 9th and 10th series but you and Oakley both were winners

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This. Is. Awesome. Way to go Bubba!

Very cool, so happy for you and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Adds a perspective to a National other than "who won". Its about the journey.
    Congrats.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

You both did a great job!
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Bubba, Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

You have so much to be proud of and thankful for!

You did yourself proud!!! Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Congratulations to you and your girl!! So glad you had fun and made memories that will last a lifetime! You are a special team!!

What a GREAT first run! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Where there is a will, there is a way.