Any Advice for 1st Hunt Test?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Advice for 1st Hunt Test?

Default Any Advice for 1st Hunt Test?

Hi Folks. I know this board is heavily slanted to the discussion of field trials, but I am running my dog in his first hunt test this weekend. The dog is definitely ready, but the handler is the weak link in the chain. My ears are wide open for any advice willing to be offered. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Breath, try to be calm. Your dog will feed off of your excitement and may be a completely different dog than what your used to seeing.

Thank the judges no matter how your dog does, they are giving up time so you can play the game and maybe someday you'll be in the judges chair.

Introduce yourself to others. We're all dog people and most love talking about our dogs, both training and hunting.

Best advice I ever got when I started was, “no matter what your dog does, good or bad, it’s been done before.” Basically it means don’t bitch or brag, just enjoy the time with your buddy.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Hi Folks. I know this board is heavily slanted to the discussion of field trials, but I am running my dog in his first hunt test this weekend. The dog is definitely ready, but the handler is the weak link in the chain. My ears are wide open for any advice willing to be offered. Thanks in advance.
    What type and level of test?
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Slow down and take your time with everything you do. It is not a race, and the judges will not rush you at the line. Oh yeah, as someone else already said....breathe in.....breathe out!!!
    Last edited by DavidC; 06-25-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    David Cuthbertson

G-Man's Spy Keeper "Rahab"
    HR G-Man's Texas Trick Shot QA2 "Annie"
    HRCH Trumarc's Super Splash SH "Splash" (1994-2009)

"Brother, a trial is not to see what your dog would do in a day's hunt, but what he will do under extraordinary conditions, judged by unusual people, and watched by an unusual gallery." (Charles Morgan on Retrievers)

Breathe and remember Junior is about the dog so be calm and let the critter work. It is hard for a handler to mess up junior unless you forget to be calm.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Essentials:
    Folding chair
    Cooler with lunch, water, sodas (if desired), etc. I like to bring an insulated cup with ice and a freezer baggie of clean ice for drinks as well.
    Plenty of water and a water bowl for the dog. I bring a small lunch for the dog, too. Opinions differ on whether a dog lunch is necessary.
    Shade cloth for the vehicle. Shady spots get snatched up fast and the natural shade moves around anyway.
    Leash, whistle, duck call.
    Hat
    Bug spray and sun screen lotion
    Extra pair of dry socks and shoes to change into at the end of the day.
    Towels for the dog.

Optional, but recommented
    Washing water and a small travel bottle of dilute liquid dish soap for washing hands and (if you wear them) eye glasses. (Also, a clean cotton cloth for drying the eyeglasses).
    Along with the extra shoes and socks, I like to bring a change of outer clothes in case the test outfit gets mud-splattered and/or smelly from dead duck, swamp water, and wet dog.

When you arrive, find the Marshall and check in. Get a catalog so you can see who's running. Don't expect to go in the order listed. The Marshall will be trying to fit in the handlers with multiple dogs or a dog in more than one stake. This time of year, be especially aware of whether your dog is staying cool. Good luck and try not to take it all too seriously.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Pinyon Cassidy UD RM JH (golden retriever, 3/28/2016; avatar)
    My best bad decision

HR Maple Cassidy UDX OM1 JH RM RAE (golden retriever, 6/24/2009)
    Up for anything, as long as she doesn't have to leave home to do it

And all the others forever in my heart

"There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry

Make sure you pee before going to the line.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Make sure you pee before going to the line.

^^^^^^this.
    -Mike

Don't forget your duck call and whistle, relax and have fun!