Hunt test rules question
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test rules question

Default Hunt test rules question

I have recently been looking at the tests in the Northeast. I have seen instances where a Judge on day 1 will judge the same event on day 2. As I understand the rules (Chapter 1, Section 2) no judge can judge the same level for consecutive days at the same event. The rule I'm referring to says,

"Each test or division of a test shall be judged by at least two qualified Judges. The same judge will not be approved to undertake identical assignments on consecutive days or consecutive back-to-back events."

Am I reading this wrong or do the clubs in the Northeast have a special dispensation that allows them to break this rule?
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Are you looking at AKC, HRC or NAHRA tests?
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
    SHR Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug WC
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI (2003-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    Are you looking at AKC, HRC or NAHRA tests?
    Sue, I'll answer for Eric, so I can see his AKC HT rules question, and call him on a second question with regard to HT breed eligibility: Are Airedale Terriers now allowed in AKC retriever hunt tests? If so, where can documentation be found or is it too new a development to have reached the AKC rulebook?

MG

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Eric you are reading the rules correctly, but I think sometimes AKC with allow it if clubs ask for special reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I have recently been looking at the tests in the Northeast. I have seen instances where a Judge on day 1 will judge the same event on day 2. As I understand the rules (Chapter 1, Section 2) no judge can judge the same level for consecutive days at the same event. The rule I'm referring to says,

"Each test or division of a test shall be judged by at least two qualified Judges. The same judge will not be approved to undertake identical assignments on consecutive days or consecutive back-to-back events."

Am I reading this wrong or do the clubs in the Northeast have a special dispensation that allows them to break this rule?
    November 2018

To: All Clubs Licensed to Hold Retriever Hunt Tests

Subject: Allowing Consecutive Judging Assignments – Effective January 1, 2019

This is to inform your club of a recent change to the Regulations and Guidelines for AKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers as approved by the AKC Board of Directors.

This change will allow one of two judges assigned to a Retriever hunt test level, to judge the same test level on consecutive days or consecutive back-to-back events. This change will help reduce cost burdens to clubs as they plan their judging panels and tests.

The exact wording of this change will appear in the next printing of the rules as follows with the new regulation shown in bold, underline:

Chapter 1, Section 6. Judges’ Eligibility. (paragraph 16)

Each test or division of a test shall be judged by at least two qualified Judges. One of the two Judges may judge the same test level on consecutive days or consecutive back-to-back events. The same team of Judges will not be approved to judge the same test level on consecutive days or consecutive back-to-back events.

This rule update is available online and being sent to the email addresses on file for all Presidents and Secretaries of clubs licensed to hold Retriever Hunt Tests and all Retriever Hunt Test Judges. Please be sure your email address is current in our records. For questions, comments or email address updates, please send to: [email protected].

Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Glad GoldDog; found when the actual change came in. This is a good change and has helped us significantly with cost as well as getting experienced-qualified judges through their initial Junior and Senior judging assignments. It was becoming challenging for new judges to get assignments as they could only judge one day; and not do the JH-SH swap. It cost the club extra to host a single judge for only 1 day; and they would need to find another judge for the next day. Oftentimes the club couldn't do it.

Also it would take significant time for judges to get all the assignments to move up. Ex: it took me ~4 years, judging 1 test a year to finally get through JH and SH, oftentimes I had to find the extra SH judge to enable me to judge JH, a single day.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Thank you. I of course did not know of the rule change. I hold this with mixed feelings. While the intent is good, there is always the chance of having a problem twice in one week-end. We all keep some form of book on judges we won't run under. If we don't know a particular judge, this doubles the risk of a problem. <shrug> If a new judge has a misinterpretation of a rule, now he can make the mistake twice in one week-end and suddenly it is ingrained.

If the issue was (is) moving judges through the entry process quicker, I'd have allowed a Senior apprenticeship before full JH judgeship. So ... on Sat they apprentice Junior and Sun apprentice Senior. That way in one w/e they are essentially through.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Sue, I'll answer for Eric, so I can see his AKC HT rules question, and call him on a second question with regard to HT breed eligibility: Are Airedale Terriers now allowed in AKC retriever hunt tests? If so, where can documentation be found or is it too new a development to have reached the AKC rulebook?

MG
    Dunno. There is a general move afoot to allow dogs to enter the field events where history showed them working rather than based upon name. Foe instance the Toller can now enter Spaniel tests.
    Eric

My thought on 2 consecutive days at the same level is good and those against remember the the judge panel must have a total of 6 points to be approved and the day before does not count since it has not happened when the approval was made by AKC. I see no problem trying to move judges ahead in this game because we need those folks that are motivated since there is no other reason to want to be a judge than to give back.

Edit: there is another very good reason........ learn what not to do. Hopefully on the mistakes of others which can be costly.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Thank you. I of course did not know of the rule change. I hold this with mixed feelings. While the intent is good, there is always the chance of having a problem twice in one week-end. We all keep some form of book on judges we won't run under. If we don't know a particular judge, this doubles the risk of a problem. <shrug> If a new judge has a misinterpretation of a rule, now he can make the mistake twice in one week-end and suddenly it is ingrained.

If the issue was (is) moving judges through the entry process quicker, I'd have allowed a Senior apprenticeship before full JH judgeship. So ... on Sat they apprentice Junior and Sun apprentice Senior. That way in one w/e they are essentially through.
    You can apprentice any level at any time and they do not have to be in order. You can apprentice Master before JR or SR. Also, you can apprentice JR and SR on the same weekend (I did it last year). Additionally, the rules have been changed and you now only have to judge one time at a lower level prior to judging the next level.