Help Picking Top Pup - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help Picking Top Pup

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    It fascinates me that people continue to believe, based on human observation of puppies, that they can predict their trainability, intelligence, response to pressure, retrieving desire, and marking ability.
    Could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wait until they are all gone and take the one that's left. The last litter I had was almost 8 years ago. I watched them every day and my pick changed 3 times in the 7 weeks I had them. I trained the last one left for a client and she was incredible. Watching the litter she was never one I would have picked. My two current dogs are very nice dogs and they both were left over puppies. I will never again agonize over which puppy I think will be the best!!!!!!!!! A good deal of how that pup turns out is what you do with it once you take it home. Everybody talks about how important the basics are but I believe the pre-basics are every bit as important as basics. The first two months you have that puppy shapes its whole life. Very important to raise the puppy to prepare them for basics. Not nearly enough talk about pre basics!!
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 07-08-2019 at 08:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Nothing brings out the superstitious nature of people more than picking "the best" puppy.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

I have always let the puppy pick me.
    Have had some nice dogs.

They could have done better, , but they all made me pretty happy.
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    A good deal of how that pup turns out is what you do with it once you take it home. Everybody talks about how important the basics are but I believe the pre-basics are every bit as important as basics. The first two months you have that puppy shapes its whole life. Very important to raise the puppy to prepare them for basics. Not nearly enough talk about pre basics!!
    Totally agree, nailed a very under discussed part of their development. Also, there are a couple very important fear periods after they go home that needs to be dealt with properly.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Okay Steve, Pete and Nate. Could you guys start a thread on pre-basics? Hopefully I will be bringing a new pup home in a couple of months and would love to hear your thoughts! There are plenty of books and DVD’s out there about basics, but it’s that oh so important first few months that I could use help with. I’m sure there are plenty of others that would love to see this as well. Please???
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Okay Steve, Pete and Nate. Could you guys start a thread on pre-basics? Hopefully I will be bringing a new pup home in a couple of months and would love to hear your thoughts! There are plenty of books and DVD’s out there about basics, but it’s that oh so important first few months that I could use help with. I’m sure there are plenty of others that would love to see this as well. Please??
    Hi Carol
    I would gladly share for you what I do in pre-basics but not on this forum. Any time something new is introduced (which is usually nothing new ,people just haven't heard about it for what ever reason) , there is that sarcasm , and all the know it all responses that you have to deal with and on top of all that you have to deal with their reading comprehension problems ). I'll leave it at that. If you still have my number I would be happy to share what I've learned with you, And explain why it;s important for future learning.
    Great to hear from you Carol.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 07-09-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Curious to know, Pete - in all seriousness - how do you go about picking a potential prospect from a breeding that carries the genetics you are hoping to be passed down. (not just a random backyard breeding - but one that was well thought out)
    As I said previously I know of no way for picking marking ability or the best dog in the litter. I did say a person can pick a good one using temperament tests. I think it;s important for people to look up the word temperament and see what it means and the components which make up what we call temperament. A "good one" to me is different than a "good one" to someone else. For me its a dog that can be trained to a fairly high level with relatively not as much training as one would think needs to be done. Competently running master or Qs as a 2 year old. Something even a chimpanzee can train. So what I'm saying is something easily trainable,and a team player. Just a good dog,, I've seen obvious avoidance issues at a week old ,,a dog that is quick to over come avoidance issues can also be recognized before they go to their new home.I personally am not high on dogs who go into avoidance easily how ever talented. Intelligence often has little to do with train ability. I get lots of dopes who train really well because they try really hard you just use a different approach. Whether the testing is done inside the pack or by an outside evaluator,,they still need to know what their looking at.even great litters can have pups not even suitable for hunting, I am privey to a handful of those and it was evident when I first saw them and all the training in the world didn't change a thing. some body just reached in and grabbed one. lol. My offer to you is the same as Carol's. I'll pm my number if you would like me to.
    P
    Last edited by Pete; 07-09-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Pete, I do still have your number and will give you a call soon. Meanwhile I would still enjoy a conversation here from some of you experienced puppy raisers. If I can stand the heat I know you guys can work in this kitchen!
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Okay Steve, Pete and Nate. Could you guys start a thread on pre-basics? Hopefully I will be bringing a new pup home in a couple of months and would love to hear your thoughts! There are plenty of books and DVD’s out there about basics, but it’s that oh so important first few months that I could use help with. I’m sure there are plenty of others that would love to see this as well. Please???

Hi Carol how's my old friend doing? Is Ralph behaving himself?. Pre-basics is something that is very near and dear to me. I would really like to do nothing but pre-basics. When I get a minute I would like to start a new thread on the subject. Some people are big on the early neurological stimulation which I believe had it's start with the military but I am not all that sold on it. Not saying it's good or bad for the pups. Don't think it hurts but also don't think it is necessary. With that being said I do think the way pups are handled before going to their new homes is important also but I think the next 2 to 3 months after going home is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Hi Carol how's my old friend doing? Is Ralph behaving himself?. Pre-basics is something that is very near and dear to me. I would really like to do nothing but pre-basics. When I get a minute I would like to start a new thread on the subject. Some people are big on the early neurological stimulation which I believe had it's start with the military but I am not all that sold on it. Not saying it's good or bad for the pups. Don't think it hurts but also don't think it is necessary. With that being said I do think the way pups are handled before going to their new homes is important also but I think the next 2 to 3 months after going home is critical.

​Start it up, Steve!
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com