Biggest Challenge going from Srs to Masters
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Challenge going from Srs to Masters

Default Biggest Challenge going from Srs to Masters

For those of you who have stepped up from Srs to Masters, what was the biggest challenge?

Thanks in advance!

NNK

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

For starters you as a handler needs to help your dog more. You have to realize that everything isn’t going to be perfect or go to the plan. Stuff happens and you have to adapt. Your dog better be very good at picking up triples even if he doesn’t see one( it happens). On blinds you better challenge the line and have your dog under control. If you handle on a mark handle all the way to the bird. (Under control). Ps if you need to handle On a Mark do it don’t let your dog run all over the field.

Blinds are within the marks rather than outside the marks. Some judges put them under the arc of a mark or closer to a flyer station, more temptation for the dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I ran 2 events this year. As it was explained to me at the second event, by a pro, they changed the rules of judging on marks this year. One event was judged completely different than the other on marks. One you were better to handle quicker. The other you better to let the dog hunt. Supposedly they changed for rules to weigh more on the dog and less on the team together on marks. Like I said it was explained to me that way. Regardless, like any event each judge is going to have their own things they look for. To me it was fun and I liked it as much as anything else I have run. If you hammer the marks and line the blinds it will not matter how they judge, lol .

A couple things I learned:
    1. You and your dog need to be well rounded. From picking up a retired punch bird to the chaos of multiple birds at short distance in a hunting situation.
    2. You know where you stand throughout the event because of the scoring.
    3. In my opinion, running in the first 8-10 dogs presents a less advantage because scores are not released until after the first 6 dogs run. I say this because once scores are released you can get a feel for how the judges are scoring.
    4. You are guaranteed 2 series as long as you don’t pick up in the first!

Like all retriever events go to the line and have fun with your dog! I don’t think you will be disappointed!

Scores released after first six dogs? What type of tests are you running? Scores are not released in AKC. You can ask to see your scores at the end of the series, or at the end of the test, depending on what the judges will allow. And you only see YOUR scores.

Meredith

as a former judge ih hrc had to stop due to various problems. I always wanted to see the dog work. If there were problems i disscussed it with my co judge to see if there was a serious fault and would be talted about and then with the handler. To the handlers just check with the judges to see if there were any faults disscuss them with the judges wether you pass or not and enjoy the time at the test

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Scores released after first six dogs? What type of tests are you running? Scores are not released in AKC. You can ask to see your scores at the end of the series, or at the end of the test, depending on what the judges will allow. And you only see YOUR scores.

Meredith
    I read his question backwards. I thought he was asking more about the SRS. All of my comments were directed to the SRS.

Be prepared for more technical tests - both marks and blinds. Expose your dog to contrary marks in training - such as long bird thrown as go bird and flyer shot under the arc as memory bird..... Be prepared to run a blind after you've picked up a mark or two. Be prepared for a diversion to be thrown after you pick up a mark or two. In general you must be a much more well oiled machine than in middle level tests ( no matter what venue you run).
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

When someone enters a Master test they are saying, in effect, "my dog and I can do anything you put in front of us as long as it is within the regulations". A Master dog is supposed to be a fully trained, finished Retriever. That doesn't mean they will be perfect on every test, but it does mean that they can be expected to be competent and under control so that they can complete the task in a pleasing manner.

Get a copy of the regulations and pay particular attention to the guidelines portion which begins on page 34. Pay particular attention to Part II, which begins on page 41.

Finally, a dog which has earned a Senior title may or may not be ready to step up. Be honest when you evaluate when your dog is ready. Good luck and have fun along the way.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

First Master test "our" challenge was a first series rooster pheasant flyer with three gunners and nine shots
    at 80 yards. Honoring on lead was easy.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 07-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com