Can Stupid Be Fixed?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Can Stupid Be Fixed?

Default Can Stupid Be Fixed?

In the 60's we were driving through Custer State Park (SD), spotted a nice herd of buffalo
    & pulled into the turnout. As we are watching a car comes behind us, blocks us in & turns
    their dog loose. I yelled at them to get their dog back in the car which it did on it's own as
    even it could recognize the herd, with numerous calves was stirring.

In Yellowstone NP last week a 6 YO got gored, they were within 6' of the buffalo. In Teddy
    R NP, Medora, ND a 17 YO thought it OK to walk between 2 bulls that were fighting & got
    thrown, gored & banged around pretty bad.

Should people be fined & charged for emergency responses where they show a complete
    disregard for simple rules & fail to use one iota of common sense?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Should people be fined & charged for emergency responses where they show a complete
    disregard for simple rules & fail to use one iota of common sense?
    Yes, in some (not enough) instances they already are.
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

No, Marvin. No it can't. Check out the two "heroes" who beat feet and leave the girl on her own - https://www.wgal.com/article/video-t...ntana/28492220

It reminds me of the time Ole and Sven were being chased by a bear and Ole stops to put on some track shoes. Sven scoffs and says, "Even with those fancy shoes, you'll never outrun a bear." Ole grins and replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you!"

My daughter is nine and it makes me sick to see a child get tossed like that. The outcome could have been so much worse. Where were the parents!?!?!?! People have no respect for wildlife and the rules of nature. As an aside, my daughter refused to ride her bike by a hissing gander last night on our ride. lol
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I saw a news report yesturday of some guy who got out of his car to take a picture of a mama bear and two cubs...he then tried to get one of the cubes to come over to his hand....the cubs stayed with Momma bear, lucky for him! Then this fool runs around the front of the car and puts his hand up, like a cop trying to stop traffic, but he was trying to stop moma bear, she charge him, he started running away! Lucky for him mom's motherly instincts were stronger than her desire to chase and tear the heck out of him....

Mom and cubs went off into the woods....the guy will never know how lucky he was......she was a smaller black bear, but still very dangerouse, especially if she has cubs......

You cannot fix stupid...!
    Last edited by swampcollielover; 07-29-2019 at 03:04 PM.

One way to tell is to see how any of these folks behave next time they are in a similar situation. You know how it is, some folks can learn by being told something, some have to actually see it, and then there are those who have to actually pee on the wire to figure it out. An awful lot of folks who visit our natural parks love nature without knowing much about it. They see people like the late Steve Irwin doing stuff, and think that they can do it too. When I was the equine photographer for the Oklahoma State Fair, we saw all sorts of crazy stuff. When one is at a regular horse show, pretty much everyone there is horsey. At the fair, everybody in the world comes through the horse barn. Gals in flip flops or even barefoot, moms pushing strollers (up under horses), kids running all around. People trying to pet young stallions who are baring their teeth and pinning their ears. It's not really stupidity. It's ignorance. The average person is so removed from any animal that could possibly harm them in their day to day lives that they just don't know any better. Too much Bambi, Uncle Ben, etc. Several years ago when my 17 or 18 yr old niece was visiting we went out to the property where I do a lot of my nature photography. There are cows on the place (nice, gentle, brood cows). Kaitlin had NEVER touched a cow!! Want ed to know if she could pet one. I told that was up to the cow. Almost couldn't believe that she had never touched a cow. How does that happen?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by nogie1717 View Post
    No, Marvin. No it can't. Check out the two "heroes" who beat feet and leave the girl on her own - https://www.wgal.com/article/video-t...ntana/28492220

It reminds me of the time Ole and Sven were being chased by a bear and Ole stops to put on some track shoes. Sven scoffs and says, "Even with those fancy shoes, you'll never outrun a bear." Ole grins and replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you!"

My daughter is nine and it makes me sick to see a child get tossed like that. The outcome could have been so much worse. Where were the parents!?!?!?! People have no respect for wildlife and the rules of nature. As an aside, my daughter refused to ride her bike by a hissing gander last night on our ride. lol
    You ever been bit by a gander?

While it's not pleasant watching this happen, you are correct, Where are the parents?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    You ever been bit by a gander?

While it's not pleasant watching this happen, you are correct, Where are the parents?
    I haven't been bit, but I've been beaten like a red-headed step child by the wings of a giant Candian on more than one occasion. I can imagine it doesn't feel great and, like most animal bites, comes with more power and ferocity than one would initially surmise.

I put myself between the goose and my daughter, rode slowly by, while explaining how to break it's neck if it does attack, however, that is more of a hands on experience than something you can learn via lecture.
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong