paddling with the dogs... Ted Shih? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paddling with the dogs... Ted Shih?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Not in the Charlotte area! Trust me, I’ve looked. There’s a nice big lake that allows kayaking and fishing at a county park just 5 miles away. They will not allow off leash dogs. Another park 15 miles away I can swim my dogs back and forth but the rest of it is surrounded by dense brush and briars and heavy woods. The only boats allowed are the ones they rent. So I make do but sure would like to paddle with the dogs.
    I'm 45 min from charlotte. Plenty of places. Stay away from parks. Go to public ramps. I can tell you a few on Norman. Ramp across from Marshall steam plant is a good one. Short paddle to the other side and there is an island plus a spit of land that you can even do some marks or blinds while there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Dave, I appreciate that. I spent many years on Lake Norman and agree that public ramps are accessible. But the last time I was there, the boat traffic was unreal. From here, (Waxhaw) Marshall Steam Station is about an hour and a half. I can get to HCB in a few minutes more. I guess I still need to find some private land with lakes/ponds if I want to paddle.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Carol,

I am grateful to have the access, to be sure. It is easy (for me) to complain about not having 'enough' different ponds/fields to train in... but most amateurs are in that boat and make do with what is available within a reasonable driving distance. Hope you are able to find some private locales to go.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

good to see you still Here Jim! I have been out a long while and it's nice to see some familiar faces and that the forum still existed!

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Dave, I appreciate that. I spent many years on Lake Norman and agree that public ramps are accessible. But the last time I was there, the boat traffic was unreal. From here, (Waxhaw) Marshall Steam Station is about an hour and a half. I can get to HCB in a few minutes more. I guess I still need to find some private land with lakes/ponds if I want to paddle.
    How far is Camden? Good half dozen water training spots around there.
    Hillary Brooks has Vaughans Millpond great for paddling. Search on map.
    A few mile nne of Hillary's is a grest training property. I don't know who owns it currently but trained a lot there year's ago.
    34°25'03"N 80°33'05"W
    Last edited by Breck; 08-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Breck, The Camden places are a little over an hour away from me. I have trained at Bill Clark’s and been to seminars there, but having to pay a daily fee prohibits me from doing near as much as I would like. I suppose I should not be complaining as HCB is less than 2 hours and I can use my city park. But I have a new pup coming and am looking for daily options. Love the idea of kayaking with my older dog, just no place close enough.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Yeah cuz most people expect to have technical water under an hour away from home.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam