vintage dog trucks
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vintage dog trucks

Default vintage dog trucks

Would love to see some pics of what people used to haul retrievers in during the early years of field trials.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Some of the oldtimers on here - born say 1985 or earlier - might remember this accident-prone Republican "field" trial vehicle.

MG

You can see some vintage dog trucks in the background in this video.
    https://youtu.be/wNR4eVP9M8Y

Also a good reminder of how far retrievers, handlers an training have come in the last 60 or 70 years.
    Ninth series in a National and it isn't even senior hunt test level.

I especially like the "bowling ball send", we should bring that back.
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Back in another time !! The Middle Tenn Amateur Retriever club formed in 1962 and the first 2 years of trials and picnic trials were held at Boy Scout Camp - Camp Boxwell off of Hwy 109 S outside of Gallatin
    I was the official dummy thrower ( that’s what they called help) for Jimmie Johnson and Neal Craig. I pulled ropes to help the dog swim and not cheat, I peppered the dogs with bird shot on a switch or to make them go No radios in those day just lots of yelling. Like shoot the M-F dammit.

The dog rigs in those days were station wagons with a homemade crate or two.
    One set the crates out and rolled a sleeping bag out. The dog may be in their with you
    Most of These guys were WWII and Korean War vets. The stories they told and the liquior they drank and I look back and say it was a privilege to be allowed in that circle even if I was a dummie thrower

There were no collars, no radios and no Atvs. You packed everything to a station

Mtarc left Boxwell in 64/65 for the current grounds. I got to be around those guys till life interrupted in my early 20’s

The trials were important but it was much more meaningful to win a training day or a picnic trial with a club trophy. Those bragging rights carried forward forever it seemed.

I made at least several trips to Chattanooga and those event were in North Ga I believe
    I got to go to St Louis once and see the great super chief at his home grounds - now Busch Wildlife. Wide eyed I was
    Back in another time

Cool stories Mr Dave

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    You can see some vintage dog trucks in the background in this video.
    https://youtu.be/wNR4eVP9M8Y

Also a good reminder of how far retrievers, handlers an training have come in the last 60 or 70 years.
    Ninth series in a National and it isn't even senior hunt test level.

I especially like the "bowling ball send", we should bring that back.
    what amazes me, is that the handlers felt the need to wear white - with marks under 60 yd... LOL.... must have been more a fashion statement.... It would be great to see some of the land series during this era....
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I have all of Lanse Brown's FT News when they were still in the large format. These are available at what I paid Lanse to the right person

I also have a personal collection which begins with Bob Wolfe's FT News from WARTC beginning in 1956.

History is a wonderful thing much more appreciated if you went through the process in the when the game gave an
    opportunity to the little guy.

I can remember (then) Judy Weikel at the PSRC with a very road weary station Wagon with a full complement of dogs
    including Spring Farms Lucky. That has been so long ago I don't remember the story behind Lucky other than he was
    owned by Rex Carr, was part of a famous litter & Rex set great store by him.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    what amazes me, is that the handlers felt the need to wear white - with marks under 60 yd... LOL.... must have been more a fashion statement.... It would be great to see some of the land series during this era....
    There was a time when marks were thrown by folks in camouflage, guns were moved but not retired after throwing so dogs could not mark off the guns.
    When you are out in the field helping @ a trial take a moment & glance back @ the audience. You might then recognize the need to wear white.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    There was a time when marks were thrown by folks in camouflage, guns were moved but not retired after throwing so dogs could not mark off the guns.
    When you are out in the field helping @ a trial take a moment & glance back @ the audience. You might then recognize the need to wear white.
    At 60 yds.... don't think it would be necessary... in fact, it seems never a problem in a hunt test... where everyone wears drab colors and if someone in the gallery is wearing 'white' (or pale shirt) they may be asked to leave or put something on over it....

I do understand the need for FT handlers today to wear white (and guns as well)
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

This just showed up on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1mPYL0VvOY