Online search for dog pedigree?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Online search for dog pedigree?

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Default Online search for dog pedigree?

Is there a way to search online and review the results online for a dog's pedigree if you have their AKC registration number? From the AKC website, it appears that the pedigree can only be printed and mailed to you. I thought the pedigree could be viewed online via AKC, but maybe that isn't available any longer or I could just be mistaken. This would be for a Labrador Retriever.
    Vicky
    ADMIN

http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    Is there a way to search online and review the results online for a dog's pedigree if you have their AKC registration number? From the AKC website, it appears that the pedigree can only be printed and mailed to you. I thought the pedigree could be viewed online via AKC, but maybe that isn't available any longer or I could just be mistaken. This would be for a Labrador Retriever.
    If the dog competes in AKC Hunt Tests or Field Trials it will be listed on Retriever Results. If the dog has a registered name and the owner entered the dogs info on Hunting Lab Pedigree then you might be able to find it on huntinglabpedigree.com

If it's just a random dog that did not compete and all you know is the AKC registration number, my only experience is you have to buy the pedigree from AKC and it will be mailed to you.

If the dog was on OFA you can do vertical pedigree
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Thanks for the replies. I was able to do the search via OFA
    Vicky
    ADMIN

http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

On the AKC website, you can see a dog's points and title progression via the Store. Requires site registration and knowing where to navigate.

You may find the pedigree on K9Data. Join, no cost, then set the main page to which of the three breeds, then put in the first part of the name. If the dog is there it will have all the OFA data plus an extensive pedigree using a could of options like longevity, hip grades, cause of death plus a vertical pedigree of siblngs and all the siblings of his ancestors. Also the COI is computed.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

K9Data is only as good and complete as the information entered by someone. Lots of dogs aren’t there, or the information is incomplete or incorrect.

Meredith

I find the steps of being a super sleuth. Oftentimes start with EE, but EE did a dumb thing and you can't search by dog name anymore (have to have the R#). To get around that I(search for handler> dogs he's owns-handle, then go events the dogs been in to find dog profile R# as well as Dam/Sire). Then we bounce over to Hunting labpedigree, K9Data, retriever results etc. (To see if the dog or dam/sire are in there (usually dog is not but dam/sire are and you can find their registration #'s-OFA links). (a google search of the R# and dog name will usually show if they are in any of the databases). After you have all the R# it all goes back to The OFA, to search with the registration # because searching with just the name is a crap shoot (oftentimes they are in there but the spelling-punctation is different and they wont come up). If none of the sites have the Dam/Sire R# then you get to go back to EE and attempt to find their profiles (sire/dam); through owners/handlers.

It's nice that you had the Registration Number; initially that's often time hard to find. Also nice that the dog had already had his health screens so it all came up.

The only thing you can get from AKC for individual dogs is the # of passes that the AKC has recorded at that time; They are very much behind in record keeping. EE is more up to date and usually where the AKC is getting most of there info anyway. AKC site is usually a waste of time, unless you actually own the dog.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-05-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    K9Data is only as good and complete as the information entered by someone. Lots of dogs aren’t there, or the information is incomplete or incorrect.

Meredith
    That's true of any online pedigree service. Do you know one that doesn't have these same problems?
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

My point is that it (and the other sites) isn't the end-all be-all that some people think it is. I found one of my dogs in there and most of the information was wrong or incomplete. I am not interested in taking the time to enter all the information when I have five generation pedigrees for each of my dogs on my website. If people search for my dog's name, they will find the info on my website.

Meredith