Hives.....
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hives.....

Default Hives.....

My 7 year old 75 pound lab got into something on vacation yesterday and hives started popping up on his head and jowls...none on his nose. First noticed it at around 1PM so I gave him 75 mg of Benadryl. No breathing issues, no energy issues, hungry and thirsty as always. By 4 PM the hives had gotten worse so we drove 40 miles to the nearest vet who took a 2 minute look at him and said he’s been stung by something...he’s fine, keep up with the Benadryl.

He spent the night scratching himself and finally at 0200 AM wife and I decided we weren’t going to sleep anymore with that going on so we loaded up and drove home. I had some prednisone 10 mg pills here so I gave him one of them at 0600 when we got home and have continued the Benadryl. As of now he’s still lumpy around the head and he’s got scabby raw lumps above both ears. I used some antibiotic spray on those.

My questions..

He’s still got his appetite and doesn’t appear to be having breathing issues.....should I be doing more than I’m already doing? Surely he’s past any danger of anaphylaxis at this point?

There was a horsefly in the back seat of the truck where he was riding a half hour before I noticed the hives....I first knew it was there because I could hear him trying to bite it out of the air. Have you seen horsefly bites cause hives?

He also was running around the cabin......Our 2 year old female was with us as well....she was either not bitten or was unaffected. Other thoughts? We were in southern Missouri.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Anything is possible but I doubt it was a horse fly. They bite and dogs hate them because it hurts, never heard of or had a dog that had any reaction from it.
    Ground wasps are very aggressive and could easily be the culprits.
    If it was my dog I'd take him to my regular vet, better safe than sorry.
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

Did you possibly get into some Fire Ants....?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

You can continue the Benadryl 1 mg/lb every 8 hours until the swelling stays down
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

20-40 mg prednisone, Benadryl can be given every 6 hours, ice packs or cool water bath to the most affected areas

How often on the prednisone? If he’s still itchy Monday I’ll take him in and see if they think he needs a steroid shot and a new bottle of antibiotic salve....he’s got another one dug raw now.....I’m mostly worried about infection.

Thanks for the replies all.

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Did you possibly get into some Fire Ants....?
    I dunno....I searched around the exterior of the cabin for bees, wasps, ants, chemicals, spiders and snakes. Didn’t find anything......

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    How often on the prednisone? If he’s still itchy Monday I’ll take him in and see if they think he needs a steroid shot and a new bottle of antibiotic salve....he’s got another one dug raw now.....I’m mostly worried about infection.

Thanks for the replies all.
    Angioneurotic edema with appropriate treatment usually resolves in 24-36 hours. Prednisone dose for a dog is 0.25-1mg per pound per 24 hours.

Thank ya!!

I also had a retriever break out in very large bumps around her head, neck, and face. She looked like a 'mad dog' with her teeth showing around her mouth. Turns out she got into some onions with hamburger juice on them. Dogs are allergic to onions and/or grapes.....just to offer another possibility!
    Last edited by swampcollielover; 08-05-2019 at 08:26 AM.