Feeding Wet?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Wet?

Default Feeding Wet?

Recently read an article by a well known trainer that states for pre-exercise hydration he feeds soupy-wet, once a day, with two cups of water per cup of kibble.
    If I read that correctly,that would be six cups of water with a three cup kibble feeding. Seems to be a heck of a lot of water. Curious how other folks feed wet. Not looking to drag this post into 2x or 1x per day feeding comments. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I add water to my kibble but just to slow them down and to keep them from choking.

Works well. I doubt I add more than a cup per 2 cups of kibble.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    I add water to my kibble but just to slow them down and to keep them from choking.

Works well. I doubt I add more than a cup per 2 cups of kibble.
    I do the same, I find it helps them be used to it so when traveling, esp on a hunting trip I can be more sure they are drinking if I add water to the food, but 2 cups water/cup of food sounds high to me.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We add water to the kibble. We were told that the food will swell up. The breeder also mentioned if you feed dry and then they drink a lot of water the food will swell up inside the dogs and may cause problems for the dogs. I can't remember what the problems were.

Quote Originally Posted by JChristian View Post
    Recently read an article by a well known trainer that states for pre-exercise hydration he feeds soupy-wet, once a day, with two cups of water per cup of kibble.
    If I read that correctly,that would be six cups of water with a three cup kibble feeding. Seems to be a heck of a lot of water. Curious how other folks feed wet. Not looking to drag this post into 2x or 1x per day feeding comments. Thanks.
    My dogs have free choice water except when training. I feed dry and have done so for 20 years. My dogs do not typically drink much water after feeding. If you give a large amount of water with their food you guarantee their consuming a large amount of water thereby causing what you are trying to prevent.

When my current charge slowed and then all but stopped eating during his first season of daily hunting, I tried adding just enough water to make a taste of kibble "gravy," and he was back to finishing his meals. Plainly likes his meals better that way, so that's the way we feed.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

19 personal labs over 55 years and all have had wet all the time and I can see no problems but then I would not know the difference since dry is not done. I do believe in the swelling in the gut thought. My recipe is 4 dogs, gallon of water count to 5 while pouring and then add 2 cups food twice per day. Subtract a little food if they are getting heavy. Not going to get into the brand argument......BSEG!
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I really only feed Wet, if we are on the road or at a test. This way I ensure they get water, oftentimes they will not choose to drink nor will they have free access to water throughout the day as they would in their kennels or airing yards. So at dinner ~45min after cool down after they are done for the day, I just fill the bowl until the food floats.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-06-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

I have chow hounds, I put water on it to slow them down. They eat so fast they choke on dry food.

I have added water to my feedings for years. By adding water I know they are being hydrated.
    Northern Neck, Leedstown, Va.

Train Harder Than You Need To