has the puppy market hit bottom?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has the puppy market hit bottom?

Default has the puppy market hit bottom?

Scrolling through ads and it is amazing how prices on puppies has dropped (to well below $1000) - decently bred pups (maybe fc/afc sire to MH or HRCH - or QAA MH bitch) going for less than some 'pet quality' breedings!

Seems like the market got pretty well flooded this year... pretty interesting... Folks unable to place pups and trying to sell them as 12 week old or older pups....
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have noticed this as well. There are a couple breedings that advertise on like 5 different facebook pages so I see them posting it 5 times a day. Everyday. Drives me crazy. One litter, the pups are 12 weeks old already and they still can't seem to get rid of them.

Timing. People take summer vacations and don't want a pup before
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post

We planned our summer vacation around receving our new puppy. My wife thinks we need help.
    -Mike

Too many jumped on the bandwagon without due diligence, thinking to make a buck or three, overinflated prices, flooded market, now, reap what was sown. Normal market fluctuation, weeds out those who bank on their bitch's uteruses with no consideration for anything else, no backup plan or resources to handle unsold puppies, and short-timers not in it for the long haul, because they are in it for profit, not because they are breeding for a purpose regardless of sales.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

I have a litter going home starting next week. Of the 5 sold so far, 3 will be coming back to me for a week while owners are on vacation in August or September. A 4th is being picked up by the new owners friend since the new owner will be on vacation next week. Apparently everyone is going on vacation the last two weeks of August or the first week of September!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Too many jumped on the bandwagon without due diligence, thinking to make a buck or three, overinflated prices, flooded market, now, reap what was sown. Normal market fluctuation, weeds out those who bank on their bitch's uteruses with no consideration for anything else, no backup plan or resources to handle unsold puppies, and short-timers not in it for the long haul, because they are in it for profit, not because they are breeding for a purpose regardless of sales.
    That, and I've said it before, the market seems to adjust about every 6-7 years when the prices have wandered up too high. I'm not talking FT titled dogs because a FT titled bitch is a rare quantity, but some of these ads and their accolades are just ridiculous like advertising 20 field champions in the last 5 generations or naming FC's from 30 years ago, but the female has incomplete health certs or is a family companion that is very loving, and pups are $2000.
    Last edited by ErinsEdge; 08-07-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I recently had a small litter of three. AFC sire x bitch that has placed two pups on Derby List in previous breedings. Bitch is FC-AFC x FC-AFC bred. All health clearances on both parents of litter. Couldnt give them away so I'm keeping the two I couldnt sell. The one that did sell was for $600 to hunting/pet home.

As demand from the military has waned, I'm sure there has been a surge in supply - hence a reduction in pricing.

Law enforcement is still looking for high drive, environmentally sound dogs for single purpose detection roles, but the demand is a fraction of what it was when the Marine Corps had 600 dogs in the field.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to be truthful.
    Darrin Greene

That, and I've said it before, the market seems to adjust about every 6-7 years when the prices have wandered up too high. I'm not talking FT titled dogs because a FT titled bitch is a rare quantity, but some of these ads and their accolades are just ridiculous like advertising 20 field champions in the last 5 generations or naming FC's from 30 years ago, but the female has incomplete health certs or is a family companion that is very loving, and pups are $2000.
    I see a lot of that....some guy buys a female out of a dog like Rebel (is there STILL semen left from him?) and doesn’t bother to run her or even really train her then he buys straws from a current or past FT titled stud and wants 1500 bucks for the puppies. A little research on the bitch’s line and you find hit and miss health certifications and very little if any FT history.

Really, these folks are just one step above puppy mill breeders if ya ask me.

Lotta money in well bred labs, but shortcuts aren’t good for anyone.