Re: is this a new trend in field trials - Page 7
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Re: is this a new trend in field trials

I will say this. Don't judge the masses from the actions of a few. I been hunting all my life. Started dog games in hunt test, and am now addicted to trials. Met some of the best people and my best friends in both venues. I would say 99% of the people from hunting, hunt test and field trials are as good as gold. The 1%, I just stay away from. The sportsmanship issue seems to be something brought up about field trialers quite frequently. I have run across very few instances of poor sportsmanship in any of these venues. I would guess it is about the same throughout from what I've seen. It may be more obvious in trials because of placements at the end.

The things that stick out more to me are the good folks and good sportsmanship. I barely remember my first started pass, but I remember feeling insignificant compared to others getting finished ribbons and titles. I can tell you I will never forget my first all-age win. I got calls, text and cards from competitors running against me, including pros, and others I have met along the way. One card is still sitting on my desk at my office. With all that said, people in this sport are awesome. The dogs are phenomenal. Enjoy the ride and be thankful for what you have. If you ever get a chance to surprise someone for an accomplishment that is a big deal to them, DO SO!!! It will mean a lot more to them than you can imagine.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Can't beat that commentary, Bubba.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Way more good apples in field trials than bad ones. Of course there are examples of poor sportsmanship or rudeness, but it’s rare. Most people complaining about politics in field trials are looking for excuses.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Train don't complain!
    HRCH UH Night Owl's Black Diamond MH "Homer"(500 Point Club)(5/9/04-5/7/19)
    HRCH Iza-Gotsa-Lotsa-Go-Go MH QAA "Streak"(1/28/08-11/21/18)

My first 16 AA entries including a Jam allowing me to judge were dogs not owned by me and I have no qualms about amateurs running friends dogs trying to qualify for Nationals or just in general for last minute no shows and the issue of former pros co-owning dogs is a conundrum with no easy answer but very much an ethical slant. The issue of an amateur running all dogs off a pros truck I have never seen and only heard about anecdotally and involved a pro becoming ill and the amateur running the Open for him and also running the am and I think that is what the owner handler am is to prevent-I just don’t feel that it’s an issue today. If it’s not owner handler then who cares? As far as co-ownership I have co-owned and it’s a very legitimate part of the game albeit save the above mentioned former pro issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I will say this. Don't judge the masses from the actions of a few. I been hunting all my life. Started dog games in hunt test, and am now addicted to trials. Met some of the best people and my best friends in both venues. I would say 99% of the people from hunting, hunt test and field trials are as good as gold. The 1%, I just stay away from. The sportsmanship issue seems to be something brought up about field trialers quite frequently. I have run across very few instances of poor sportsmanship in any of these venues. I would guess it is about the same throughout from what I've seen. It may be more obvious in trials because of placements at the end.

The things that stick out more to me are the good folks and good sportsmanship. I barely remember my first started pass, but I remember feeling insignificant compared to others getting finished ribbons and titles. I can tell you I will never forget my first all-age win. I got calls, text and cards from competitors running against me, including pros, and others I have met along the way. One card is still sitting on my desk at my office. With all that said, people in this sport are awesome. The dogs are phenomenal. Enjoy the ride and be thankful for what you have. If you ever get a chance to surprise someone for an accomplishment that is a big deal to them, DO SO!!! It will mean a lot more to them than you can imagine.
    Thanks Bubba. Well said.
    Good Dog Ranch
    Bob Swift

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post

^^^100% agree^^^
    The FT highs are higher and the lows are lower (and much more frequent). Most everyone appreciates outstanding dog work, and understands how competitive the sport really is.

Hi all! Interesting thread