Pup Has a Leg Infection
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Pup Has a Leg Infection

Default Pup Has a Leg Infection

I think the vet has this under control but wondering if anyone else has had something similar. About a week ago my girlfriend took my 5 1/2 month old pup out of his crate in the morning and noticed his leg was swollen around the joint and he had a slight limp. I was was out of the country but she took him to the vet. He had a slight fever and vet said the leg was infected, it appeared there was a slight wound like a puncture wound or something. Vet lanced it and expressed the wound. Put him on antibiotics and the dreaded cone collar. I got back in the country yesterday and took him back. Vet says everything looks good and said to keep him on antibiotics for another couple weeks and to limit his exercise for a couple more weeks--very frustrating as I was hoping to get some training done during that time. Vet wants to be very cautious to ensure the infection doesn't get into the joint. Also recommended a warm compress with diluted betadine a few times a day to keep it clean.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of what it could have been. He spends 99% of his time with us or in the crate and I don't remember him ever yelping or banging it on something. The pictures she took when it was fresh are attached and I can't believe how swollen it had gotten in a short period of time.

Bandit Leg 1.jpgBandit leg 2.jpg

Anyone had anything similar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Did the vet rule out insect bite, eg, spider.

They thought it might be a spider and even said snake although I think a snake is pretty unlikely.

I do remember about a week and a half ago when we went outside he got sort of startled and jumped and a large black insect flew off. I couldn't tell what it was but it could have been a ground wasp or something else that bit him. Although the vet didn't think that was the case. Just seems like a weird spot for a puncture wound to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DH View Post
    They thought it might be a spider and even said snake although I think a snake is pretty unlikely.

I do remember about a week and a half ago when we went outside he got sort of startled and jumped and a large black insect flew off. I couldn't tell what it was but it could have been a ground wasp or something else that bit him. Although the vet didn't think that was the case. Just seems like a weird spot for a puncture wound to me.
    Dawson, re that large black insect, it's horsefly season up our way - and in the words of Bandit's Anglo confreres, they can be nasty and their bites can "help" a dog to transmit infection.

Missed you last weekend, and now know why on two different fronts - get him well soon so you can make out for the training province of Alabama-North.

MG

"Anyone had anything similar?"

Only thing I've seen like that would be a punture wound that went into abscess, or an infected dog bite. I think both of those you would've notice. I did have Niland cherry toe once, very small punture that went really big really fast had to be lanced and drained.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

I have a dog whose had a toe do something very similar to what you're describing. The toe swelled up and there appeared to be a puncture wound. By the second day her whole foot was swollen. It was initially x-rayed thinking something had punctured it and may still be in it. X-ray showed nothing, vet attempted to excise the wound with no luck. Treated with 2 different antibiotics which would temporarily reduce the swelling. After 2 weeks it still kept swelling, a second x-ray was done and it showed the toe bone had a notch in it. The vet recommended it be surgically removed, it would either be cancer or infection. I left her not knowing how much of her foot she might lose. Thankfully, she only lost her toe. It was an infection MRSA, most commonly caused by Brown Recluse spider bites. Doxycycline was the drug that finally stopped it.

I know people who have been bit by Brown Recluse spiders, they have become whats know as MRSA carriers.

I bred my female, nearly lost her and did lose the puppies. The vet suspects that the problems were probably due to the MRSA infection she had 2 years prior. That she probably became a MRSA carrier.
    Paula

HRCH Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the replies. It appeared to heal up but it sure took a while.

Pup's will be pup's, sounds like you have it under control! Nice thing about young dogs is they come back quick...over the years I have had a few similar experiences, but all were forgotten within a few weeks....

I'm sorry. I hope for his speedy recovery