Puppies Who Mark Really Well Go On to Be Great Dogs
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppies Who Mark Really Well Go On to Be Great Dogs

Default Puppies Who Mark Really Well Go On to Be Great Dogs

Sorry if the thread title is misleading. I enjoy the nostalgia and history of the dog games. As a newcomer to trials, I love reading about and hearing about dogs long gone. In a recent thread, Dr. Ed and others who have been around the game a while, talked about some great dogs.

I am interested to know what experiences you have with puppies who show a great deal of promise. What does that look like? All of us think our puppies are great, but the reality is- I've never ran or made an AFC dog, so what would I know about how those dogs looked at a young age? For example, I have read that Lottie showed great promise at a young age. She won her first derby I believe at 11 months! Yes...I have a couple of young dogs. Yes...I think they are awesome. No...I wouldn't wager any money they will ever win a Q much less an open lol. I'm just interested to know what "showed great promise as a puppy" or "NAFC Fido was a great marker as a puppy" looks like. I've had 8-9 month old puppies pick up 300 plus yard singles, but the field had few factors. Those same pups would have looked silly on a 75 yard cheaty mark landing in thick cover as a check down lol.

What could some of the "great" ones do at a young age?
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue." - Author Unknown

HRCH Big Trax Candlewood's Katie Bar the Door MH "Kate"
    HRCH Big Trax Queen of Spades MH "Spade"
    Big Trax Gump's off Running "Chunk" RIP 12-30-15 - 07-25-17
    HR Big Trax Angels Among Us "Lucy"
    Big Trax Grady's Wild Card "Joker"
    Big Trax Little Rascal "Darla"
    Big Trax Drive Thru Delight "Tater"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by big trax View Post
    Sorry if the thread title is misleading. I enjoy the nostalgia and history of the dog games. As a newcomer to trials, I love reading about and hearing about dogs long gone. In a recent thread, Dr. Ed and others who have been around the game a while, talked about some great dogs.

I am interested to know what experiences you have with puppies who show a great deal of promise. What does that look like? All of us think our puppies are great, but the reality is- I've never ran or made an AFC dog, so what would I know about how those dogs looked at a young age? For example, I have read that Lottie showed great promise at a young age. She won her first derby I believe at 11 months! Yes...I have a couple of young dogs. Yes...I think they are awesome. No...I wouldn't wager any money they will ever win a Q much less an open lol. I'm just interested to know what "showed great promise as a puppy" or "NAFC Fido was a great marker as a puppy" looks like. I've had 8-9 month old puppies pick up 300 plus yard singles, but the field had few factors. Those same pups would have looked silly on a 75 yard cheaty mark landing in thick cover as a check down lol.

What could some of the "great" ones do at a young age?
    BT, This one will get at some of what you seek. This thread is about 918 posts long currently. If you pick through it, you can find an interested series of events, documented by various comments and posts. The reader form their own image of some pieces of the career of a little chocolate female lab. She just recently made the short list for the 2019 Retriever Hall of Fame, which is a very cool recognition.

Congrats to Bill and Micki.

https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...x-and-Tyra-Pup
    "Coach Sanderson said to have fun."
    - PSU 2017 NCAA champion wrestlers
    Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall and Bo Nickal

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."
    - Bill Hillmann - Decatur, IL; July 2017

"I knew exactly what to do the whole way. A lot of the handholds feel like old friends."
    - Alex Honnald - After completing the June 3, 2017 first ever Free Solo Climb of Yosemite National Park's El Capitan.

Everyone you talk to has the next big thing. "My six month old puppy is doing 250 yard marks!" Very few of those dogs end up being competitive field trial dogs. I've heard it so many times it's hard for a puppy to impress me.

I saw NFC-AFC Bullet for the first time when he was 10 weeks old and he was doing land and water marks up to about 100 yards with some re-entry and technical features on the water. He did them all perfectly. I trained with him a few more times as he developed and saw him chalk line a triple with two retired with water in it when he was 9 months old. It was clear he was on a different level marking and intelligence-wise. I almost quit the game because I wasn't sure how I would ever compete against a dog like that. I've never seen another young dog with those traits. He was a freak of nature/genetic abnormality.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I could have bought Butte's Blue Moon for $300 when he was 13 Months old, at 14 months he won his 1st Derby
    & went on to win 5, a 2nd, a 3rd & 2 greenies in 9 attempts. One day he did not know what he was doing, the next
    day he did. But always a nice dog. The environment they grow up in will say a lot about where they end up.

Frank the Fisherman owned 5 dogs, all raised as puppies at his house. 2 NFC's, 1 NAFC, 1 FC-AFC & 1 Derby lister.

A local guy bought 5 pups over time. As they were from elite breeding's he placed them with the best of trainers.
    None were ever entered in a Derby.

You may draw your own conclusion.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that FC/AFC-Texas Cocky Two Stepper-“Stepper” won an Open while still running Derbies.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •'09 National Finalist FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam to FC-"FINN", several QAAs, 2-MNHs)

RIP My girls Jiggy, and sweet mamas Dancy and Tip. We love and miss you all!!!

Recently a YELLOW dog won the Open and Derby on the same weekend. Has had several Open and Derby placements since as well. Poor thing will not be able to run Qual now that they aged out. His littermate brother made it through a couple of series in the Am and took 2nd in the Qual last weekend.

Go Kid pups

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

What is the name of this talented youngster?

QUOTE=labsforme;2170646]Recently a YELLOW dog won the Open and Derby on the same weekend. Has had several Open and Derby placements since as well. Poor thing will not be able to run Qual now that they aged out. His littermate brother made it through a couple of series in the Am and took 2nd in the Qual last weekend.

Go Kid pups

Jeff[/QUOTE]
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •'09 National Finalist FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam to FC-"FINN", several QAAs, 2-MNHs)

RIP My girls Jiggy, and sweet mamas Dancy and Tip. We love and miss you all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    BT, This one will get at some of what you seek. This thread is about 918 posts long currently. If you pick through it, you can find an interested series of events, documented by various comments and posts. The reader form their own image of some pieces of the career of a little chocolate female lab. She just recently made the short list for the 2019 Retriever Hall of Fame, which is a very cool recognition.

Wow! That was amazing to read and take in Chris! Thanks so much. Watching the video of Ammo running at the end was truly awesome. It is truly amazing how some of them just "have it".
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue." - Author Unknown

HRCH Big Trax Candlewood's Katie Bar the Door MH "Kate"
    HRCH Big Trax Queen of Spades MH "Spade"
    Big Trax Gump's off Running "Chunk" RIP 12-30-15 - 07-25-17
    HR Big Trax Angels Among Us "Lucy"
    Big Trax Grady's Wild Card "Joker"
    Big Trax Little Rascal "Darla"
    Big Trax Drive Thru Delight "Tater"

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    What is the name of this talented youngster?

QUOTE=labsforme;2170646]Recently a YELLOW dog won the Open and Derby on the same weekend. Has had several Open and Derby placements since as well. Poor thing will not be able to run Qual now that they aged out. His littermate brother made it through a couple of series in the Am and took 2nd in the Qual last weekend.

Go Kid pups

Jeff
    [/QUOTE]

Floyd. John and Amy Henninger's dog
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post

This is the epitome of what the OP was asking about. Reading the early pages of the thread, it's pretty amazing that, while so many of us wouldn't even dream of pushing a puppy that hard, Bill and Micki clearly knew they had something special on their hands. They made it sound like it wasn't so much them pushing Ammo as her pulling them. Some of the more "opinionated" folks definitely ended up eating some crow. Even running that many trials with an all-age dog can burn them out. Instead, it appears Ammo just kept getting better with time. 144 derby points and a "N" in front of her name. Not bad for a little brown dog.

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.

Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl