How many QAA dogs become FC or AFC? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many QAA dogs become FC or AFC?

0 for 6 going 25 years back. It's hard. It takes patience.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We re 1 for 7 meaning 7 Qaa mutts and 1 AFC plus a couple that just didn’t make it
    The AFC had 2 years of young dog pro training. Took 17 years from the start
    Now all the dogs had AA points and a bucket full of greenies but that win is dang hard to come by.
    I ve had many conversations with folks that it has taken 15-20 years to get that title
    It’s not an undertaking for the faint of heart and tenacity is a word you learn to understand
    Dk

In my case, the dog has the talent to run Qs, its the handler that has held her back. Also, its very difficult to find the water to consistently be competitive in my case. We can always find a cow pond or some body of water to get whats needed for Hunt tests, but thats much different than technical water needed to be competitive in Qs. Also, I train 90% of the time by myself, so I have to use wingers and its difficult to retire a winger. We are going to keep trying a few a season and also run a few Hunt tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    As with any endeavor, moving up the ladder is not easy. making the step from MH to winning 2 Q's to placing in
    the AA ranks are all major steps that most dogs cannot make due to there level of talent & or the training situation
    they found themselves in. Not every one has the talent to take there dog to the next level. & one must not forget
    that the world of judging those achievements is more subjective than it should b.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It’s a long but rewarding road. So far for me since 2004

1st dog SH injured at two and retired
    2nd QAA with AA 1/2 point and JAMs trained myself.
    3rd QAA @3.5 FC/AFC @9 retired but living, trained myself. 11 years after starting my first dog.
    4th QAA @ 2.4, AFC @ 5 still running, need 2 points for FC - 3+ years with pros. 7.8 yo
    5th Placed in hunting home, never ran a trial
    6th derby JAMS and 23 months old, started by a young dog pro.

Steve

My FC/AFC female has 25 offspring, 10 are QAA of which 3 are FC or AFC

This will give you an idea. Based on the Retriever News 2017 had 59 new FC's and 55 new AFC's (missing the November issue), 2018 had 61 new FC's and 55 new AFC's and 2019 has 27 new FC's and 23 new AFC's so far (missing the June issue). A lot of the dog's received their FC and AFC in this period, so probably around 150-180 dogs all-age titled in this period, I'm guessing.

In 2017 there were 253 Q's, 2018 there were 232 Q's and in 2019 there are 190 Q's so far. If you estimate 1.5 QAA dogs per Q that's a little over 1,000 QAA dogs just in the Q (not counting all-age placements without going through the Q). Guessing again, probably around 1,200-1,500 QAA in the same period.

BIG GUESS HERE. Projecting my assumptions forward. Assume 5 years average of all-age career and 3 years of Q's. That would estimate 4,500 Q dogs over the 8 year career of a dog. If a dog all-age titles, it typically is around 5-7 years old. So projecting the all-age titles over a 5 year period would be around 340. Around 5%-7% of QAA dogs become all-age titled. I would think that percentage may be a little high. This does not count the dogs that tried and never were QAA.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

Do not neglect to factor in that a number of those, FC and AFC are the same dog.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Do not neglect to factor in that a number of those, FC and AFC are the same dog.
    I didn’t. Only estimated based on the FC number. Still a big guess.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome