The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Makes America Great?

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Yeah, but what makes America great? That's the easy answer.

Is it our Justice system? Healthcare? Jobs? Land? Education? Our generosity? The city that you live in?
    For me the Constitution and Bill of Rights guarantee my right to try to succeed, to make mistakes and try again. I used to believe in the justice system - you were innocent until proven guilty - I am not sure that is the case these days. Some people are afforded that and others are not, depending on your political affiliations or beliefs. Healthcare - what a joke. I have a chronic health condition, my "healthcare" was better before Obama care. My doctors are still great that part of "healthcare" is wonderful, my insuranc
    not so great. Education - I worked my way through college and graduated with no debt. My daughter worked full time and went to school full time and graduated with no debt. So we feel we had the opportunity to get a higher education, and we worked to pay for it. Our generosity - I would rather see the US take care of US citizens. Stop trying to take care of the world. You know sometimes people do a better job of taking care of themselves when they actually have to try and do it. I live in North Texas, when I moved here 28 years ago I said I would never be a big-mouth Texan, I have learned why Texans are so proud to be from Texas. And I am proud to be a North Texan where people are proud of their state and country.

So what do you believe makes America great?
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lesa Cozens Dauphin View Post
    For me the Constitution and Bill of Rights guarantee my right to try to succeed, to make mistakes and try again. I used to believe in the justice system - you were innocent until proven guilty - I am not sure that is the case these days. Some people are afforded that and others are not, depending on your political affiliations or beliefs. Healthcare - what a joke. I have a chronic health condition, my "healthcare" was better before Obama care. My doctors are still great that part of "healthcare" is wonderful, my insuranc
    not so great. Education - I worked my way through college and graduated with no debt. My daughter worked full time and went to school full time and graduated with no debt. So we feel we had the opportunity to get a higher education, and we worked to pay for it. Our generosity - I would rather see the US take care of US citizens. Stop trying to take care of the world. You know sometimes people do a better job of taking care of themselves when they actually have to try and do it. I live in North Texas, when I moved here 28 years ago I said I would never be a big-mouth Texan, I have learned why Texans are so proud to be from Texas. And I am proud to be a North Texan where people are proud of their state and country.

So what do you believe makes America great?
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Spell check can sure trip you up.

You're correct, the bill of rights, esp the first and second amendments, are a big part of what makes us different.
    Western Democracies have for the most part adopted our 1st Amendment into their constitutions. That being Free Speech, a Free Press, Freedom of Assembly, Right to Petition and a Secular Society.
    “The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” U S Constitution
    This entire impeachment process is just going to be all about knocking down the most offensively stupid arguments from Trump supporters.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Western Democracies have for the most part adopted our 1st Amendment into their constitutions. That being Free Speech, a Free Press, Freedom of Assembly, Right to Petition and a Secular Society.
    Please provide evidence to support this claim.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Please provide evidence to support this claim.
    Too lazy to do your own research?

There are tools available like Google and Bing for research.

Start here and then research each countries Constitution. Also, The Atlantic several years ago did a comparison of the Constitutions from western democracies.

Example; type in German Constitution, then read it. d

Don't let the word "liberal" cause you a hissy fit. Because of the values upheld by Republics and Democracies, they are known as liberal.

A liberal democracy may take various constitutional forms as it may be a constitutional monarchy (such as Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and the United Kingdom) or a republic (such as France, Germany, India, Italy, Ireland and the United States). It may have a parliamentary system (such as Australia, Canada, Germany, India, Israel, Ireland, Italy and the United Kingdom), a presidential system (such as Indonesia and the United States) or a semi-presidential system (such as France and Romania).
    Last edited by Franco; 09-12-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    “The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” U S Constitution
    This entire impeachment process is just going to be all about knocking down the most offensively stupid arguments from Trump supporters.

There is a huge difference between our bill of rights which restricts government and so called "rights" in other countries granted by governments.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

[QUOTE=Franco;2173596]

Actually, since you ONLY use CNN why would we need to use more than one source?

It would take more time than I have at the moment to look up all the western democracies' constitutions, but I do know that Canada doesn't have anything like our right to free speech. With all their "hate speech" laws and regulations, speech is actually pretty restricted in Canada. I suapect the same is true in England and Australia.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

There are tools available like Google and Bing for research.

Start here and then research each countries Constitution. Also, The Atlantic several years ago did a comparison of the Constitutions from western democracies.

Example; type in German Constitution, then read it. d

Don't let the word "liberal" cause you a hissy fit. Because of the values upheld by Republics and Democracies, they are known as liberal.

A liberal democracy may take various constitutional forms as it may be a constitutional monarchy (such as Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and the United Kingdom) or a republic (such as France, Germany, India, Italy, Ireland and the United States). It may have a parliamentary system (such as Australia, Canada, Germany, India, Israel, Ireland, Italy and the United Kingdom), a presidential system (such as Indonesia and the United States) or a semi-presidential system (such as France and Romania).
    Yes. I'm too "lazy" to take the time to refute another one of your absolutely ridiculous claims that you obviously cannot support. Please get back on your meds.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    It would take more time than I have at the moment to look up all the western democracies' constitutions, but I do know that Canada doesn't have anything like our right to free speech. With all their "hate speech" laws and regulations, speech is actually pretty restricted in Canada. I suapect the same is true in England and Australia.
    So like: Obscenity (the Miller Test), Lying (government documents/investigations/advertising), Threats/Inciting (fighting words), Time and Place restriction (Free speech zones), Government employees, ect.?
    Last edited by mngundog; 09-12-2019 at 03:03 PM.