The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Mark Release Command

Default Changing Mark Release Command

Howdy,

I have a 9 month old BLF named “River.” I followed Hillman’s puppy program and have been releasing her on marks to the word “back” since I brought her home, this is what Hillman recommends . After training with an HRC retriever club over the weekend they suggested switching to “River” for release on marks and “back” for release on blinds.

Is this a requirement to run AKC or HRC tests? If I do decide to switch to her name for release on marks, how do you suggest I do it without confusing her? Or should I just stick with what is working since she is consistently steady at the line?

Thanks for the help, this site has lots of great info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Use whatever you want. Doesn’t make a difference. There are other cues well before sending that’ll tell your pup whether it’s a mark or blind. There are several top handlers/trainers including Hillmann that use back for both marks and blinds.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

As Glen suggested there are many cues to use to prepare your dog for a blind retrieve.
    It's all about repetition. Using the same word. Your dog will pickup on it quickly.
    An example would be. Lining your dog and using " dead" or "dead bird"!
    You can actually watch a dog anticipate and react to to that certain phrase. And you can still use the word "back" for the blind.
    Keep it simple. The less talking and words the better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I use "back" for both. Started out with name for marks and "back" for blinds, but then worked with some trainers who explained to me why they use "Back" for both. Made sense, and it works. Plus if you have multiple dogs, you don't have to worry about using the wrong dog's name on marks

Meredith

There are plenty of folks who use back for both... and there are some good reasons why it might be beneficial to do so, as Meredith points out... I have not, yet (mostly because I often have more than one of my dogs in my vicinity when training)... but certainly have considered it.

Keep using 'back' - it will give all those other handlers and trainers something to talk about. hahahaha!!!
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    I use "back" for both. Started out with name for marks and "back" for blinds, but then worked with some trainers who explained to me why they use "Back" for both. Made sense, and it works. Plus if you have multiple dogs, you don't have to worry about using the wrong dog's name on marks

Meredith
    My question in this scenario with multiple dogs all trained to go for marks on “back”, how do you teach the dogs it’s their turn or not so they don’t all go on back?
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

An older Field Trialer bought a dog that had been on an A-List pros truck for years. Shortly after, the two were at a trial and the pro approached the older gentleman and said that he had trained the dog to go on it's name for marks and wondered how the new owner had re-trained the dog so quickly to go on back. He simply smiled and said "Sometimes he goes on Back, sometimes he goes on his name and sometimes, he just goes".

Moral of the story is that it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you use it consistently.

So your honoring in the 4th series and the person 5 ft away with working dog sends with a loud back ,!

I judged a Senior with the typical walk-up to start things off. I was using the usual signal to the handler of "Dog" as a release. A pro handler came up to me and asked that I release his dog with a number, any number would do. Later he explained that he was from "up north" and had picked up the dog on his way to the test ... yesterday. During the test briefing he realized that the owner's naming of the dog "Doug" might create some problems.

I recall a friend who said that he prescribed the "back porch naming scheme" whereby you stand on your back porch and loudly call the dog with the name that has been proposed. If it doesn't embarrass you or otherwise cause confusion, it's a valid name.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Running View Post
    So your honoring in the 4th series and the person 5 ft away with working dog sends with a loud back ,!��������
    This is one of the reasons I release on the dogs name for marks. In training I doubt my dog would go with people yelling his name behind us. At a trial with an amped up dog looking for any excuse to go, I want every advantage and precaution.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19