Puppy paddling??? - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Puppy paddling???

I had a puppy who did the puppy paddle. He would splash so hard with his front legs that you thought he was drowning. Once he got to the bumper and put it in his mouth he would flatten out in the water and swim normal. My grandfather who was helping me train this puppy told me that it was a head placement issue. He said the reason for the prolonged splashing was the puppy was holding it's head up trying to watch the bumper as it would swim. This caused the back legs to drop in the water. He showed me 2 methods that he used to address the issue. The first method was a strap weigh on the collar of the puppy to hold it's head down in the water. He only used this method as a last resort, because he was not comfortable adding the extra weight. His perferred method was a 2 person retrieve. He would have 2 people on opposite sides of a pond. One person would throw a bumper about 4 feet from the shore and let the puppy retrieve it. Once the puppy had the bumper the person on the opposite side of the pond would call to it in a very excited manner. The puppy would normally swim across the pond to the other person. Then the process would be repeated. The puppy learned to keep it's head down in the water and the splashing went away. In my instance it took about 3-4 retrieves a day for a week to solve the problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have always found a pond with a shallow bank and go in with the puppy and walk around with them throwing small paint roller type bumpers and I’ve been lucky and had good swimmers. I don’t have any first hand knowledge but I know they do make a floatation device for dogs and I’m don’t know about sizes. I’ve heard about using the noodle and I would think it might cause more panic type reaction than helping, and I do have a concern about using a 2.5 lead diver weight on a puppy that may weigh only 15-16 pounds. Anecdotally I’ve heard of using the life preserver successfully on 8-9 month old dogs with swimming problems. What I’m totally aghast about is the throwing of puppies into relatively deep water and letting them “figure it out” IMHO a good way to ruin or possibly drown a potentially great dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    I have always found a pond with a shallow bank and go in with the puppy and walk around with them throwing small paint roller type bumpers and I’ve been lucky and had good swimmers. I don’t have any first hand knowledge but I know they do make a floatation device for dogs and I’m don’t know about sizes. I’ve heard about using the noodle and I would think it might cause more panic type reaction than helping, and I do have a concern about using a 2.5 lead diver weight on a puppy that may weigh only 15-16 pounds. Anecdotally I’ve heard of using the life preserver successfully on 8-9 month old dogs with swimming problems. What I’m totally aghast about is the throwing of puppies into relatively deep water and letting them “figure it out” IMHO a good way to ruin or possibly drown a potentially great dog.
    Similar to this suggestion. Wade out into the water with the pup and hand-throw bumpers PARALLEL to the shore. Pup returns to you in the water and actually has to even tread water a bit waiting for the next throw. Do this in water where the pup can just barely not touch bottom. Occasionally their feet will touch bottom and encouraged the use all four legs to move in the water. Wading in with the pup in shallow water and throwing parallel to the shore was a technique used by the late Clint Swingle doing water intro with his pups.
    [email protected]
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks to you all!!!
    We’re still at it everyday. Not there yet. She LOVES WATER and it’s a fight to get her out!!! I have a gut feeling that she will come around.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •'09 National Finalist FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam to FC-"FINN", several QAAs, 2-MNHs)

RIP My girls Jiggy, and sweet mamas Dancy and Tip. We love and miss you all!!!

Default She is trying to walk on water.

She is trying to walk on water.

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    Thanks to you all!!!
    We’re still at it everyday. Not there yet. She LOVES WATER and it’s a fight to get her out!!! I have a gut feeling that she will come around.
    You say you're still at it everyday.
    Well here's a suggestion why don't you try keeping her away from water for a few weeks.

I tried taking her away for a week or more and she got even more excited!!!
    She is actually doing well as of now. I’ve made her swim after hand thrown bumpers in our pool while carrying a bumper in her mouth. Simply trying to create muscle memory. She did great, then figured the game out.
    I then began pulling a bumper on a long chord about a foot in front of her nose. It keeps her head down and she levels out while swimming full speed.
    A few days ago we had finished in the water and I had to walk over to our back fence to pick up a bumper. I heard her splash and to my surprise, she was swimming around the pool like a dayum fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    You say you're still at it everyday.
    Well here's a suggestion why don't you try keeping her away from water for a few weeks.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 09-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH

Well,
    It’s been a couple weeks and a LOT of PERSISTENCY from my first post. I’m here to say that I tried several things from a life vest to swim noodles to just pain ole “this is BS this little bitch knows how to swim!!!”. Her breeders Louis and Zowie West had the pups in water from weeks 5 thru 7. So, I knew she could swim. Then the drive and adrenaline showed up-LOL

1. I finally put a bumper in her mouth and threw marks over her head from one end of our pool to the other. Making her change direction in hopes of convincing her that her head needs to be down. This went on for 3 sessions and she figured out the trick.
    2. Next I would stand on the deck and drag a bumper on a long line along the surface keeping the bumper just out of reach. It worked!!!
    The next day she bolted out of our back door and into the pool she went. Swimming perfectly!!! (Not over just yet)
    3. Then I started walking next to her while she swam to the mark. When she’d start to get excited and paddle I’d push down on her shoulders for a foot or so and she’d level out.
    4. Today after her land work I took her off lead in the backyard to see what she’d do. She bolted to the pool and swam back and forth like a normal dog. I tossed 5 or 6 marks from our pool deck, then got out and threw 4 more with a running start. Even with a BIG water entry she smacked all 4 swimming like a champ!!!

PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF!!!
    Last edited by David Maddox; 09-26-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH

Awesome. Nice work
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    Well,
    It’s been a couple weeks and a LOT of PERSISTENCY from my first post. I’m here to say that I tried several things from a life vest to swim noodles to just pain ole “this is BS this little bitch knows how to swim!!!”. Her breeders Louis and Zowie West had the pups in water from weeks 5 thru 7. So, I knew she could swim. Then the drive and adrenaline showed up-LOL

1. I finally put a bumper in her mouth and threw marks over her head from one end of our pool to the other. Making her change direction in hopes of convincing her that her head needs to be down. This went on for 3 sessions and she figured out the trick.
    2. Next I would stand on the deck and drag a bumper on a long line along the surface keeping the bumper just out of reach. It worked!!!
    The next day she bolted out of our back door and into the pool she went. Swimming perfectly!!! (Not over just yet)
    3. Then I started walking next to her while she swam to the mark. When she’d start to get excited and paddle I’d push down on her shoulders for a foot or so and she’d level out.
    4. Today after her land work I took her off lead in the backyard to see what she’d do. She bolted to the pool and swam back and forth like a normal dog. I tossed 5 or 6 marks from our pool deck, then got out and threw 4 more with a running start. Even with a BIG water entry she smacked all 4 swimming like a champ!!!

PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF!!!
    Congratulations!!!!
    your puppy is normal