The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doubles trouble with my FCR

Default Doubles trouble with my FCR

hello,

Im having trouble working on doubles with my 3YO male FCR. Super high energy dog, incredible drive.

He is 75/80% steady on a place board. When healed, I warm up with single bumper starting short, then out to 20 yards.

Now I'm trying doubles. I take a bumper and toss each out sideways 10 yards. Send dog on his name and he is amazing. back healing to placeboard every time. Now when I extend the doubles, farther out, and I send the dog, he grabs the first bumper, then runs over to the second, drops 1st, picks up 2nd and runs back to me. Of course when I put a check cord on him, to prevent him from doing this, he behaves perfectly.

Any ideas on how to work on this? I thought I could go back to basics, the close in doubles. Problem is, I can do those for hours with zero issues.

Any tips appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

What’s a FCR? Are you throwing the extended doubles at 180 degrees so he has to run past you to get to the second bird or are you closing the angle?

Oh Flat Coat...

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

That may be a Dan Wegner question

try alongside two corners of a building... or a fence....

It sounds as if you are not using an ecollar... that is ok, but will mean you have to spend more time developing/conditioning the proper response....

don't give him the opportunity to make the wrong decision until you can properly recall him when he makes the 'switch'...
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Why is it that everyone is so gung-ho to run retrievers when they don't have good recall in place?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Why is it that everyone is so gung-ho to run retrievers when they don't have good recall in place?
    Agree. Teach the dog to come to you before you throw anymore of that type double.

Edit: you may find this flow chart useful in identifying where your dog should be in yard work prior to teaching doubles.
    http://www.totalretriever.com/images...rtDownload.pdf
    Last edited by captainjack; 09-17-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

You know, you can trick a dog that is Rock solid a check cord and not so solid without by running with a wee little rope on the flat buckle collar. Many folk call it a tab. Just about a four or six inch piece of rope going floppity flop as it runs gives the illusion of check cord. I enjoy training with the flat coat folks who come up to our lake Champlain retriever club area in the summertime just cool folks great dog work. Many use the tabs.

Ken Bora

And don't be so hard on the poor Flat-Coated retriever folk for running retrieves before they have a solid recall. most flat coats don't have a rock-solid recall until they are about 8 years old. That's a lot of plan fetch those folks will be missing if they waited. 😁

Use a long line and a lot of praise. Send for the one bumper, reel them in with praise praise praise. Send for the second bumper, reel them in praise praise praise. They'll get the hint.