Why use the word “fetch”
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why use the word “fetch”

Default Why use the word “fetch”

Simple musing while it’s too hot to take my big dog out to train and contemplating future work with new pup. What is the purpose or theory behind using the word fetch when teaching the conditioned retrieve, force fetch or whatever you call it. Seems to me all future commands to “go get it” will be back or dogs name. Why use a word that will be replaced? Any thoughts?
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Because you need a word that means to pick something up not just a release.

You also need a word during FF to give so that when dog complies to the command the pressure is released and is taught how to respond to the pressure.

It doesn't have to be "fetch" necessarily but should be something short, clear and easy to say.

Name is a release command and not the same as "fetch"
    Last edited by Bryan Parks; 09-17-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Simple musing while it’s too hot to take my big dog out to train and contemplating future work with new pup. What is the purpose or theory behind using the word fetch when teaching the conditioned retrieve, force fetch or whatever you call it. Seems to me all future commands to “go get it” will be back or dogs name. Why use a word that will be replaced? Any thoughts?
    I still use the fetch command after FF - in various situations... dog drops a bird or bumper because I don't have hold of it well enough - fetch.... When I am done with a drill, I walk around to the various piles and when I am near one I send my dog out to 'fetch' the remaining bumpers. She finds it to be a great fun game. It is a way for her to associate the fetch command with something 'no pressure' related... it has become like fun bumpers for her...

Using the command 'fetch' during actual FF - the dog associates that word with the pressure of the ear pinch - and not his/her name as the release used in 'fun' retrieves .... so we have something we know the dog will be reliable with when we begin transitioning to 'back' and subsequent FTP on the back command. To help clear up confusion.

my .02 cents
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It's unlikely anyone ever thought through it other than to label each step in the multi-step process that goes into a retrieve.
    Darrin Greene

Says here that's contemplation aplenty for thinking through use of the word "Fetch." Strong consonant sound for a command, concise, and can be stated without stutter or splutter when needed after force fetch when a pup, or dog, fumbles a retrieve as they all inevitably do at some stage and needs a reminder - a verbal reminder and for good measure perhaps the "conditioning" gesture (ear pinch) associated with that verbal command. Or, you could just say, "Prithee, Tralfaz of Funderful Suburbia, the bird." But only if you were George Jetson and had a futuristic retriever program in place ...

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    It's unlikely anyone ever thought through it other than to label each step in the multi-step process that goes into a retrieve.

Itis one syllable, as all commands should be for ease of training, it does notsound like any other command (sit, down, quite, heal, etc. or most call names for a dog, and it is used forone of the most important things a gun dog must do….!

Because it’s been thoroughly tested and proven to work. It also presents no issue when transitioning to the other word(s).
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

Some good replies. I certainly see the power in the sound of the word. Also I’m sure it’s very helpful in getting the dog to pick up a dropped object without necessarily going somewhere. The only answer that is lacking is “because that’s the way it’s always been and it works”. Doesn’t leave much room for new approaches. Thanks for thinking it through for me!
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Doesn’t leave much room for new approaches.
    Can you delve a little further into this statement?

Do you mean 'new approaches' by trying to create the same response to a retrieve command other than FF?
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Back is directional and doesn’t mean fetch. The The dog’s name is a release. Fetch means pick up something in front of your face. I’m sure you can reverse engineer it so that fetch could mean back but I don’t know why someone would want to do it.

I have seen someone resort to fetch when back wasn’t working but to me that is a training problem with back. I wouldn’t resort to fetch when back is the needed command.

I guess I don’t train that way. It is kinda forcing a dog Willy Nilly on fetch at distances. It isn’t in the flow charts I follow. It can make a dog wacky. And .... with my current dog I coudn’t push through things with force because he is too tuff for a collar.

I think trainers do it for clients so they have a fail proof fetch command. But .... Fetch is not handling in my opinion. I know no one cares about my opinion and that is fine. That’s my thoughts on it.