How a puppy grows
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How a puppy grows

Default How a puppy grows

I have a 5.5 month old Barracude Blue son. He’s huge. 57#. I’m looking for insight on at what rate do you typically see male pups grow. Should I expect him to continue at this rate or do they slow down after 6 months. I have a 6 year old bitch that weighs 55-60. This is my first male lab so I’m just curious if this dude is gonna be 90# or if most males get big fast and then level out at 70-80 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I found this to very accurate at giving adult weight from a puppy- puppychart.com I bet it will say a little over 90 pounds. Good luck.

He has some huge littermates also from what I've seen of the breeder's posts. FWIW I try really hard to make my pups grow slowly. I have a 7 month old male who gets 4 cups/day of PPP large breed puppy at 47lbs and is a body condition score 4/9. They all grow at a slightly different rate and will be whatever they're going to be as adults but slower is always better.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE OA OAJ ACT2 TDI CGC ASCA-CD (15 OTCH pts, 10 T2B pts)
    Tara UD GO VER RA SH MX AXJ ACT1 TKI CGC (4/10 MXJ, 3 QQ, 25 T2B pts, 121 MACH pts)
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    Chivas CD NAP TKN CGC (2/3 NJP)
    Boaz JH CD CGC (2003-2012)
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes) (2011-2016)
    http://clairedvm.com
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks. Yeah these boys are pretty big. His two and mine are over 50. Being careful with these guys and their bone structure as it matures is Important. Don’t want to cause any induced issues.

How do you “slow” growth? My pup (9 weeks) is growing fast! His weight is only 16#, but he is tall and skinny with big paws. I am feeding him 2.5 cups of PPP Large Puppy, and he would eat twice as much if offered. I don’t know how I could humanely feed him any less.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    How do you “slow” growth? My pup (9 weeks) is growing fast! His weight is only 16#, but he is tall and skinny with big paws. I am feeding him 2.5 cups of PPP Large Puppy, and he would eat twice as much if offered. I don’t know how I could humanely feed him any less.
    I usually feed (with PPP focus LB puppy) about 2 cups/day at 8 weeks, 3 at 12 weeks, 4 at 16 weeks and that's where they stay unless in heavy training or cold weather. I don't increase food until they're trying to drop below a 4/9 BCS. Labs will always eat more if available and I really want my pups proportional and in good coat, but on the thin side.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE OA OAJ ACT2 TDI CGC ASCA-CD (15 OTCH pts, 10 T2B pts)
    Tara UD GO VER RA SH MX AXJ ACT1 TKI CGC (4/10 MXJ, 3 QQ, 25 T2B pts, 121 MACH pts)
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    Chivas CD NAP TKN CGC (2/3 NJP)
    Boaz JH CD CGC (2003-2012)
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes) (2011-2016)
    http://clairedvm.com
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    I really want my pups proportional and in good coat, but on the thin side.
    What Claire said. You need to watch your dog and adjust its feed volume depending on its outward appearance. The dogs ribs should be just barely visible under its coat, yet easily felt. You should not be able to see the spine or hip bones. The dog should have an obvious waist when viewed from above as well as an obvious abdominal tuck. If you are seeing spine or hip bones, increase the dogs food intake. If you can't see a waist or tuck decrease the dogs food intake.

"The BCS is a somewhat subjective rating used to standardize the level of an animal’s weight. This helps us formulate a diet and exercise plan that best suits your pet’s body, activity level and lifestyle.

BCS scales are typically range from 1-5 or 1-9. At The Drake Center, we use a 1-9 scale. This larger scale allows us to better assess subtle changes in your pet’s weight, but either scale is acceptable. Using this scale, pets are scored from 1 to 9 out of 9 with 5/9 being an ideal body weight."
    https://www.thedrakecenter.com/servi...tion-score-bcs
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Thank you guys. I was really just curious if 57# at 5.5 months old is average or above average size for a male. His body condition is a 5/9. Didn’t know if he’s going to be a 90 pounder or not. I guess the best answer is we’ll find out when he stops growing. 3 of his brothers are within a few pounds of him, so he’s not alone looking like a miniature horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Thank you guys. I was really just curious if 57# at 5.5 months old is average or above average size for a male. His body condition is a 5/9. Didn’t know if he’s going to be a 90 pounder or not. I guess the best answer is we’ll find out when he stops growing. 3 of his brothers are within a few pounds of him, so he’s not alone looking like a miniature horse.
    I just had my male lab weighed at the vet clinic and he is 58# … but he is 1-1/2 years old. They are ALL different.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

I own a brother to yours. He is currently 52.