Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials?

Default Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a forum similar to this for asking questions about training for hunt tests or training related to hunting/retrieving but not field trials.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by J. Marti View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a forum similar to this for asking questions about training for hunt tests or training related to hunting/retrieving but not field trials.

Thanks.
    Gee, I thought that this was that very thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Gee, I thought that this was that very thing.
    I just don't want to take up space on this forum or people's time by asking a question that most on this forum have probably solved a hundred times with a hundred dogs. Very basic stuff but I sort of wanted to also ask a question about the why behind a certain behavior.

I have been searching the archives and maybe I can read a bunch of threads. Was just wondering if there was a forum like this for those without vast experience and knowledge. Maybe the admins could establish a new forum here for newbies? Like one forum for between JH and SH. Then another for SH and MH. LOL. That way we who are clueless could at least direct our questions to an appropriate place without taking up other forum's space.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It’s easy—if we aren’t interested in the thread, we don’t read or respond

Meredith

Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that the majority of people on the forum participate in Hunt Tests, not Field Trials
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

J. Marti:

Back in the day, this site had an unwritten pecking order wherein the inexperienced (such as myself) could ask innocent, naive (read: dumb) retriever training questions and get honest, polite answers from (only) experienced people. The equally dumb members stayed sitting down, mouths shut, observed and learned along with the OP. I think you can still ask most anything you want, you just need to learn who to ignore versus who to pay attention to. I'll try to help.

In general, avoid:
    1. The first person to respond to your question.
    2. Responses from those with more than 5,000 posts who have been members for 3 years or less.
    3. Posters who begin their response with: "I have the same problem..."
    4. Posters who begin their response with: "I don't have the same problem, but..."
    5. Posters who feel the urge to quickly reference theirdog.
    6. Posters who average 5 or more posts/day (see #1; do the math).
    7. Posters who respond during prime training hours, and not after they've come in from the field.
    8. Posters with a picture of themselves in their avatar.
    9. Anyone from Oklahoma (jk, hoping this gets' Gunners Up's attention).

Ok, the last 2 are just personal...

Seriously, fire away with your questions an have fun. I'm not sure what you've read on here lately that makes you think there aren't a lot of readers in your same situation (been some pretty dumb $hit posted lately). IMO, it would do this forum good to have fresh blood asking legitimate retriever training questions.

Thanks.

Why limit yourself? Training is training. Do the best job you can and train your dog to be the best he can. For example train for the Master and the junior will be easy. As I said training is training and dogs are dogs. I play field trials now but started in hunt tests. My hunting dogs were 10 times better when I learned about training for hunt tests.

I just don't want to take up space on this forum or people's time by asking a question that most on this forum have probably solved a hundred times with a hundred dogs.
    There are few, if any people here who have actually solved a retriever problem with 100's of dogs. Many of those who have the most "experience", and this is no offense to them, have their dogs trained, at least in part, by professionals.

That's not meant to diminish the advice you'll get, years of experience and expertise folks here have to share.

Training "100's" of retrievers is a lifetime endeavor. Very, very few people have done so. Most experience is gained second hand via years of immersion in the games, group training, being around pros at seminars or day training.

That, and dog's aren't that simple anyway.

You'll get two kinds of answers here - the mainstream method, based in Carr/Farmer/Lardy training methods, and random solutions based on people's individual experience.

As a newbie - you're much better off IMO, reading up on one of those programs, following the flow chart and screening answers you would get here and elsewhere against the best practices the program outlines.

If there’s a forum like the one you described, I would suggest that newbies avoid it. It’s hard enough for new folks to identify the chicken salad among the chicken $h!t around here. The last thing you want is advice from those experts with a JH title.
    I made the mistake of joining a Facebook group that focuses on hunting retrievers. Lots of people ask basic training questions on there and sweet baby Jesus some of the advice that is given will make your head numb! There are lots of ignorant people who are chomping at the bit to provide bad advice to people just as ignorant.
    It’s unfortunate that there isn’t as much quality training discussion here as there once was, but it’s still the best option that I know of.
    On the other hand, some of those folks who used to beat up newbies for asking “stupid” questions have moved on. With the exception of POTUS, it seems friendlier than it was years ago.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Why limit yourself? Training is training. Do the best job you can and train your dog to be the best he can. For example train for the Master and the junior will be easy. As I said training is training and dogs are dogs. I play field trials now but started in hunt tests. My hunting dogs were 10 times better when I learned about training for hunt tests.
    Great advice
    You need to train your dog and don't compare or compete with others in training and don't set limits based on rules for tests.
    Keep training fun for both you and your dog. That means keeping him successful but it is just as important to keep challenging him.
    Don't get hung up on distances just because it's the rule in a hunt test. Distance is only one factor. There are simple 250+ yard marks and there are <150 marks that get FC AFC dogs cut from trials every weekend.
    Look for field trial clubs in your area and ask if there are any training groups nearby. The advice you get from experience, successful field trial folks will be of great help.
    I am not knocking hunt tests although I'm sure I'll be accused of it. If you train for a level of test following the limits on distance and other rules you are also limiting how good your dog will be.

If possible, go to a field trial and talk to people. Most are very friendly and will enjoy helping a newbie. Observe the placement of the marks and blinds. They are placed because of multiple factors that will influence the dogs in the route from the line. Look for them and ask others what they are, some are visible some are not.
    Learning to set up challenging training concepts and making the most of the available grounds and factors present is the most difficult aspect of training IMO.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19