Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials?

Just ask your questions. You’ll get responses. Some will be good and some will need to be ignored. After a while you’ll figure out who to listen to.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Become a member of TRT by Freddy King. You don't have to use his program (I don't) but the FB group is full of very experienced and successful HT pros. There are some FT people as well. It has a great mix. Lots of great discussions from the most basic to more advanced.

Just having access to the group is worth the $60.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    J. Marti:

Back in the day, this site had an unwritten pecking order wherein the inexperienced (such as myself) could ask innocent, naive (read: dumb) retriever training questions and get honest, polite answers from (only) experienced people. The equally dumb members stayed sitting down, mouths shut, observed and learned along with the OP. I think you can still ask most anything you want, you just need to learn who to ignore versus who to pay attention to. I'll try to help.

In general, avoid:
    1. The first person to respond to your question.
    2. Responses from those with more than 5,000 posts who have been members for 3 years or less.
    3. Posters who begin their response with: "I have the same problem..."
    4. Posters who begin their response with: "I don't have the same problem, but..."
    5. Posters who feel the urge to quickly reference theirdog.
    6. Posters who average 5 or more posts/day (see #1; do the math).
    7. Posters who respond during prime training hours, and not after they've come in from the field.
    8. Posters with a picture of themselves in their avatar.
    9. Anyone from Oklahoma (jk, hoping this gets' Gunners Up's attention).

Ok, the last 2 are just personal...

Seriously, fire away with your questions an have fun. I'm not sure what you've read on here lately that makes you think there aren't a lot of readers in your same situation (been some pretty dumb $hit posted lately). IMO, it would do this forum good to have fresh blood asking legitimate retriever training questions.
    This is funny, but sadly, so true. Keep reading the discussion for a perfect example.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Uh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    J. Marti:

Back in the day, this site had an unwritten pecking order wherein the inexperienced (such as myself) could ask innocent, naive (read: dumb) retriever training questions and get honest, polite answers from (only) experienced people. The equally dumb members stayed sitting down, mouths shut, observed and learned along with the OP. I think you can still ask most anything you want, you just need to learn who to ignore versus who to pay attention to. I'll try to help.

In general, avoid:
    1. The first person to respond to your question.
    2. Responses from those with more than 5,000 posts who have been members for 3 years or less.
    3. Posters who begin their response with: "I have the same problem..."
    4. Posters who begin their response with: "I don't have the same problem, but..."
    5. Posters who feel

the urge to quickly reference theirdog.
    6. Posters who average 5 or more posts/day (see #1; do the math).
    7. Posters who respond during prime training hours, and not after they've come in from the field.
    8. Posters with a picture of themselves in their avatar.
    9. Anyone from Oklahoma (jk, hoping this gets' Gunners Up's attention).

Ok, the last 2 are just personal...

Seriously, fire away with your questions an have fun. I'm not sure what you've read on here lately that makes you think there aren't a lot of readers in your same situation (been some pretty dumb $hit posted lately). IMO, it would do this forum good to have fresh blood asking legitimate retriever training questions.
    Now Mark, you know those pictures were not actually Charles ,don’t you?

I thought the OP's post was a little tongue in cheek? Perhaps regarding the recent 'fetch' thread....
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Uh

Now Mark, you know those pictures were not actually Charles ,don’t you?
    Shades of Burgandy?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Shades of Burgandy?
    Definitely not that one but the studio shot with the glasses...well...

It helps to understand the question to judge whether the response is good or not. I also thought the question was tongue in cheek.

Some people judge a question with qualifiers as weak. A qualifier states how much credence to give it.

It is much like kicking a dead dog. It is stupid. It is getting mad at yourself for reading stupid stuff and blaming your dread on a dead dog.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Marti View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a forum similar to this for asking questions about training for hunt tests or training related to hunting/retrieving but not field trials.

Thanks.
    Sorry, but on a serious note this idea of no field trial people has merit but you would have to start with Littlejohn. Seriously.
    Last edited by Ken Barton; 09-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Thank you, folks. I actually do have an issue with a dog. But I read a bunch about it in the archives and then found a solution I was actually thinking about in the Mike Lardy Basics manual I have. But I think I need to modify his solution for my particular dog. I have his solution to try, then his solution plus my additional modification, and then a zillion ideas from the archives. Will let you know if any of it worked.

Thank you. (But yes, I still have questions regarding the FETCH post. I'm probably just not understanding it yet.)