Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials? - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Forums like This for People Who Train for Hunt Tests, not Field Trials?

Well , we’ve ended up with 2 pages of offhand obtuse references and still don’t know the problem and there is quite a bit of knowledge lurking around here not that I’m attuned to advise but if you can learn to decipher which people to listen to you can learn a lot and most of the good natured gigging is between people who have known each other for years so don’t pay any attention to a lot of that , it’s just a way to use levity to combat boredom. Hmmm ... I may go back to that thread about the 6 months old pup that’s not steady in his tests......Let’s see....

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the reply. I wanted to know about decheating with a dog who is still not a rock solid, reliable handling dog. I found my answer in the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Well , we’ve ended up with 2 pages of offhand obtuse references and still don’t know the problem and there is quite a bit of knowledge lurking around here not that I’m attuned to advise but if you can learn to decipher which people to listen to you can learn a lot and most of the good natured gigging is between people who have known each other for years so don’t pay any attention to a lot of that , it’s just a way to use levity to combat boredom. Hmmm ... I may go back to that thread about the 6 months old pup that’s not steady in his tests......Let’s see....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    J. Marti:

Back in the day, this site had an unwritten pecking order wherein the inexperienced (such as myself) could ask innocent, naive (read: dumb) retriever training questions and get honest, polite answers from (only) experienced people. The equally dumb members stayed sitting down, mouths shut, observed and learned along with the OP. I think you can still ask most anything you want, you just need to learn who to ignore versus who to pay attention to. I'll try to help.

In general, avoid:
    1. The first person to respond to your question.
    2. Responses from those with more than 5,000 posts who have been members for 3 years or less.
    3. Posters who begin their response with: "I have the same problem..."
    4. Posters who begin their response with: "I don't have the same problem, but..."
    5. Posters who feel the urge to quickly reference theirdog.
    6. Posters who average 5 or more posts/day (see #1; do the math).
    7. Posters who respond during prime training hours, and not after they've come in from the field.
    8. Posters with a picture of themselves in their avatar.
    9. Anyone from Oklahoma (jk, hoping this gets' Gunners Up's attention).

Ok, the last 2 are just personal...

Seriously, fire away with your questions an have fun. I'm not sure what you've read on here lately that makes you think there aren't a lot of readers in your same situation (been some pretty dumb $hit posted lately). IMO, it would do this forum good to have fresh blood asking legitimate retriever training questions.

They would tell you to go search for the answer to the newbie dumb question and it wouldn't have been polite. Or, were you talking about a different forum?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by J. Marti View Post
    I wanted to know about decheating with a dog who is still not a rock solid, reliable handling dog. I found my answer in the archives.
    Can you share the thread link where you found it?

With access to the right kind of water, you can "pre-cheat" a puppy from like 3-1/2 months old at a time they obviously aren't - or expected to be - a "rock solid, reliable handling dog." No reason you can't go back and do that with an older dog unless the cheating's already engrained.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Marti View Post
    I wanted to know about decheating with a dog who is still not a rock solid, reliable handling dog. I found my answer in the archives.

With access to the right kind of water, you can "pre-cheat" a puppy from like 3-1/2 months old at a time they obviously aren't - or expected to be - a "rock solid, reliable handling dog." No reason you can't go back and do that with an older dog unless the cheating's already engrained.

MG
    Why de-cheat a dog that can't handle?
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    Why not? .

If you're asking that question of me, I would say maybe get yourself some "cheaters" for better reading comprehension - didn't say de-cheat, I said "pre-cheat."

Which means squaring and splashing marks for a pup so that it sets course visually, locked onto a fat white bumper in the middle of a channel, and comes back the way it went out, i.e., through the water - that is, if you're judicious with your throws and have a good recall, which I generally have from, oh, 8 weeks and one day.

Why? - because I'm the "feeder stream" if you will, as in "A treat awaits your return, pup, and the straight you come back to me - wherever I'm standing - the sooner the Pez dispenser puts out for your water work."

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post

MG
    https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...light=de+cheat

In this thread, there was a wealth of information (at least to me as a newbie.) I particularly liked Bama Jeff's post with links to the Dobbs library. Those Dobbs articles are like gold to me. (I have Lardy's basic manual and his DVD but, for me personally, the Dobbs site is very valuable.)

If we go to certain places we have hunted waterfowl in the past and I want to give a young dog of ours real waterfowl hunting experience, if she runs the bank she could get into a lot of horrible cover, deep, deep muck or steep rocky banks, etc., etc. Our first priority is a hunting dog and I want this younger dog to know she should take a straight line from where I release her into water. I have never had a dog who runs the bank as much as she does. I know some people wouldn't hunt a dog like this until she was thoroughly trained to handle but that is not my lifestyle. I have dogs first for "meat hunting" just because we and our dogs love to be outside and hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Why not? .
    I'm genuinely interested in why.

I have seen "pros" try and de-cheat pups before they can handle and let's just say it was extremely ugly and painful to watch.

I'm sure others have better techniques and I'm sure it works great I'm just not very familiar with it.

I try my best to not give any pup/dog a cheaty bird until I am done with swim-by.

I have found this to work extremely well for me but I'm not saying it's the only way or the best way by any means.

I just don't see the point, I'm not going to hunt a dog until they are running elementary cold blinds anyway.

Just my opinion.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded