Keeping butt on ground
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Keeping butt on ground

  1. #1

    Default Keeping butt on ground

    I have an 8 month old Ford pup who has a ton of fire. Doing very well in his training but his Achilles is keeping his butt on the ground when marks are thrown. I conditioned the sit command via Hillman method and continue to do so. He won’t break, but every fiber in his body wants to raise that butt!

    Most of the time I have one hand on his collar and one hand on his butt to make sure he stays solid. But as soon as I try to proof him he will give it a slight raise. I give him a very low level nick and make him sit which he will but he will continue to do it.

    He’s is very young I know and Iam not panicking. We are having a ton of fun, but Iam looking for any tips that would be helpful in keeping him rock solid still. Iam not a fan of the heeling stick but would consider it as a last resort if need be.

    I have no problem continuing to hold him with one hand on collar and one on butt until he matures out of this but he is almost 9 months and my fear is that this may be a longer problem than I think? Would love to hear from those of you who worked through the same issue.

    Thank you
    Mark

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2

    Default

    There is a good chance a butt off the ground squat is as good a sit as you will get, there are quite a few FC / AFC dogs that do the same.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

  4. #3
    Senior Member Matt McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Do you send him on marks when he’s hovering? If so, stop.
    The first thing I would do is just wait him out. If you are following Hillmann, I would think that you should be beyond restraining him at the line.
    I would fix this in the yard and would do it before I returned to running field marks.
    Matt McKenzie

    "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Sabireley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Culpeper VA
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Do you send him on marks when he’s hovering? If so, stop.
    The first thing I would do is just wait him out. If you are following Hillmann, I would think that you should be beyond restraining him at the line.
    I would fix this in the yard and would do it before I returned to running field marks.
    You can play the waiting game with his food bowl or any other thing the dog wants by just waiting for him to sit in his own, without saying sit, before letting him have it. You can transition it into the field by throwing the bumper and just waiting him out until his butt is back on the ground. Start with low excitement marks and increase excitement over time. Pressure is temporary. It’s a lot easier to train it now than trying to fix it later.

  7. #5
    Senior Member DarrinGreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Souf Joisy
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    If a low level nick with no command gets him to repair his behavior try going a little harder. Many dogs aren't even aware of this slight change in the behavior. Sounds like your guy KNOWS...

    Give that nick silently and see if he just sits properly. If he does - up the intensity until he learns to avoid getting nicked.

    Don't say anything - lifting your butt means a hard NICK. As long as you're sure he understands where the nick comes from, it's just a matter of making it intense enough that he wants to avoid the pressure.

    You'll know by whether or not he responds to light pressure with no command by putting his butt back down.

  8. #6
    Senior Member labsforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mission Valley,Mt
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Does anyone use a heeling stick any more?
    Just a thought

    Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

  9. #7
    Senior Member Mark Littlejohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Conroe, Tx
    Posts
    1,682

    Default

    I know more about non-sitting, creeping dogs that I care to explain herein.
    Sent you a PM.

  10. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    If a low level nick with no command gets him to repair his behavior try going a little harder. Many dogs aren't even aware of this slight change in the behavior. Sounds like your guy KNOWS...

    Give that nick silently and see if he just sits properly. If he does - up the intensity until he learns to avoid getting nicked.

    Don't say anything - lifting your butt means a hard NICK. As long as you're sure he understands where the nick comes from, it's just a matter of making it intense enough that he wants to avoid the pressure.

    You'll know by whether or not he responds to light pressure with no command by putting his butt back down.
    Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Does anyone use a heeling stick any more?
    Just a thought

    Jeff

    Darrin I think this is the route I need to take. And Jeff, you may be right about the heeling stick. I will check back in a few weeks to give you an update.

    Mark

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,831

    Default

    Is your idea to use a heeling stick on line for sit and you have never used it before?

  12. #10
    Senior Member DarrinGreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Souf Joisy
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    Is your idea to use a heeling stick on line for sit and you have never used it before?
    ^^^ that isn't exactly a great idea
    Darrin Greene

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •