Line manner help
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line manner help

Default Line manner help

My 6 month old ran his first hrc test yesterday and got a pass. We had run a few mock tests with other dogs and his line manners werenít the best but they were even worse yesterday. It didnít matter how many times I corrected him on his flat collar he wasnít having it. It was a bit of a surprise as his obedience is good or so I thought. I put his pinch on after we were done running and I didnít even have to correct him so I know heís aware there is no real correction coming with the flat collar.

Are there any drills I can do to help with this. Heís young so I want to nip it in the butt. I was thinking doing mock tests with the flat collar and his heeling stick? He is also collar conditioned.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Six months old and his first test event it is normal and expected for him to be jacked up. Maintain a strict standard in training but I would be cautious about a lot of corrections right after an event. You could end up showing him the difference between an event where he can’t be corrected and training when he can be.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Train for another 6 months with high standards for obedience and line manners before you enter another test.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    Six months old and his first test event it is normal and expected for him to be jacked up. Maintain a strict standard in training but I would be cautious about a lot of corrections right after an event. You could end up showing him the difference between an event where he canít be corrected and training when he can be.
    Very good point, I did not think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Train for another 6 months with high standards for obedience and line manners before you enter another test.
    Yep I’m up in Wisconsin so the tests will get further and further away from me in winter which makes it an easier choice. I definitely don’t want to set a bad habit with him doing more tests where he’s basically rewarded with retrieves for bad manners.

Much more time in group training with a lot of excitement going on, while maintaining a high standard.

Here's a trick too... Two leashes - pop his flat collar then immediately pop the prong... Make one predict the other. He'll become more responsive to the flat collar then for future events where it's allowed.

I do this in collar conditioning a lot. Low nick followed by high nick... I've done flat = prong and prong = ecollar also.

Simple Pavlovian conditioning.

It isnt about the retrieve - my favorite quote stolen from Polmaise...

These dogs will do that (chase and pick up a bird)! It is all the other things we have to instill into their brains that are so important

Focus on all that isnt the 'marks'
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

way to young....Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Nice suggestion Darrin, I might try that as well. Simple and easy to do.

Deny the retrieve.
    Throw the mark and if he takes a step forward tell him to sit and YOU walk out and pick up the bird.
    Repeat as often as needed.

You might also get Bill Hillman's puppy training videos.
    Ray K

HR UH Princess Lillian Vl MH
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke MH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01