Line manner help - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Line manner help

Quote Originally Posted by Cjamison12388 View Post
    My 6 month old ran his first hrc test yesterday and got a pass. We had run a few mock tests with other dogs and his line manners werenít the best but they were even worse yesterday. It didnít matter how many times I corrected him on his flat collar he wasnít having it. It was a bit of a surprise as his obedience is good or so I thought. I put his pinch on after we were done running and I didnít even have to correct him so I know heís aware there is no real correction coming with the flat collar.

Are there any drills I can do to help with this. Heís young so I want to nip it in the butt. I was thinking doing mock tests with the flat collar and his heeling stick? He is also collar conditioned.

thanks
    The question should be "why would any dog not break?" If we've done our job, pup is crazy for the bird or bumper. Now we're asking pup to wait. Why would he? I don't think a dog remains steady to please the handler, so why? In my opinion, There's only one reason, fear of consequences. That's not the same as fear of the handler, or it shouldn't be. The challenge is to keep your standards very high, and never never miss a correction. The correction needs to be such that pup says "I never want that to happen again!" Rather than working directly on breaking, you should work on line manners to a crazy high standard, and most important, never miss a correction.

The original poster has a 6 month pup and of course he shouldn't use lots of pressure. OP should go back to the yard, and clean up his obedience holding pup to a very high standard, and always be consistent with corrections. It's also a good idea to stop testing until pup is steady.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I appreciate the different opinions and advice. It was a good experience to see what the test was like and what we can improve on. I think Iíll wait at least 6 months before the next time I run him. I doubt heís ruined after one test where he was a little out of control but we wonít make it a habit. In the meantime Iíve bought some holding blinds to work on that and am planning to join a local hrc club to hopefully do more mock tests and get get his excitement level up while training obedience.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Wouldn't we all love everything to go as planned, every single time?
    jingle a chain in your back pocket? lolhaha

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pfancy Pants View Post
    jingle a chain in your back pocket? lolhaha
    shuffle your feet much? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cjamison12388 View Post
    My 6 month old ran his first hrc test yesterday and got a pass. We had run a few mock tests with other dogs and his line manners werenít the best but they were even worse yesterday. It didnít matter how many times I corrected him on his flat collar he wasnít having it. It was a bit of a surprise as his obedience is good or so I thought. I put his pinch on after we were done running and I didnít even have to correct him so I know heís aware there is no real correction coming with the flat collar.

Are there any drills I can do to help with this. Heís young so I want to nip it in the butt. I was thinking doing mock tests with the flat collar and his heeling stick? He is also collar conditioned.

thanks
    Want to add another thing to remember, the dog doesn't have to exhibit bad line manners before you reinforce "sit" when running a mark in training. In other words, a dog that needs improvement on its line manners, may happen to sit quietly on a particular mark, but you can still use the mark to improve his line manners by applying a stick to his rear and saying "sit" even when he's steady. You wouldn't want to do so 100% of the time, but you would do it more often with a "problem" dog vs a young dog. You wouldn't do this to such an extent that it detracts from the dog's marking, but for a dog with bad line manners, it works well. You want to instill the idea in the dog's mind that something else will happen before it's released to retrieve. You can tell you've made progress when the dog looks up at you after marks are thrown, before he is sent.
    This also works great for reinforcing line manners on an honor.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    shuffle your feet much? :P
    don't need that