attn getting device for walkup (AKC)
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: attn getting device for walkup (AKC)

Default attn getting device for walkup (AKC)

twice in the senior tests (5 total) I've run this summer, there has been no shot on the walkup. I would like think that when we are hunting, we have to use a gun in order for a bird to be killed and subsequently fall out of the air.

Not sure if any dogs had an issue with this, as they could hear the winger go off... It just doesn't seem realistic.

curious as to the rules (I read them and it says no attn getting device). Does this mean no gunshot as well?

I do need to edit this... actually only one of the five that I was entered in. The other was the next day(Sun). I scratched because I did not need another pass for a title, but a friend of mine was running and texted me wondering what was up with no shot on the walk up..... - so 3 weekends of tests, 2 days with no shot on the walk up.
    Last edited by Tobias; 09-25-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    twice in the senior tests (5 total) I've run this summer, there has been no shot on the walkup. I would like think that when we are hunting, we have to use a gun in order for a bird to be killed and subsequently fall out of the air.

Not sure if any dogs had an issue with this, as they could hear the winger go off... It just doesn't seem realistic.

curious as to the rules (I read them and it says no attn getting device). Does this mean no gunshot as well?
    Every walkup I've had in AKC had a shot at the top of the arc
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

I’m thinking, I guess you could be hunting and a bird previously shot by another hunter could be flying by and decide to die and fall out of the sky in front of you with no shot fired, so, there’s your real life hunting scenario! Ha!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Poor tests. The shot is not considered " an attention getting device " It is the act of shooting a bird that has flushed wild and is a surprise to you and the dog. The flush , or presentation of the bird is to test steadiness and control. A duck call before the presentation would be the "attention getting device " and negates the purpose of the walkup.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Safety issue, could it be?
    Darrin Greene

no - the marks were at 45 yd... not a shot flier
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I have never seen a walkup w/o a gunshot after launch either. I think the best person to querry would be the ht chairperson. I would seen them an email.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

I do need to edit this... actually only one of the five that I was entered in. The other was the next day(Sun). I scratched because I did not need another pass for a title, but a friend of mine was running and texted me wondering what was up with no shot on the walk up..... - so 3 weekends of tests, 2 days with no shot on the walk up.
    Are you referring to the handler firing a popper on the walk up or a shot from the thrower?
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

From either location. It isn't hunting if there is no shot.

Do you carry the faux gun while walking up?