Bumper Recommendation
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Bumper Recommendation

Default Bumper Recommendation

I bought some bumpers about six years ago that held up very well. The brand name has worn off them and I don't know what kind they are. Recently I purchased two different kinds of bumpers. They are torn after only one or two uses. I am looking for a recommendation for bumpers that do not tear. Price is not a concern.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Take a look at our new Ergo Fetch Bumpers.

https://www.gunnersup.com/Gunners-Up.../gu-bumper.htm
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

Are you wanting canvas bumpers? They will wear out faster than plastic or rubber but still should last quite a while.
    I have Avery, dokken, lucky dog and others. They all work and are all a distant second to real birds, ducks in particular.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Robyn, I have been pretty happy with the Avery bumpers I bought but like the “Airflow” bumpers best. Not because it forces them to hold in the middle, my young one will still hold like a cigar. But they throw great and are not too hard. They do have a surface texture which makes dirty quicker but a quick scrub with Softscrub gets that off. I almost never use canvas bumpers.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Robyn, I have been pretty happy with the Avery bumpers I bought but like the “Airflow” bumpers best. Not because it forces them to hold in the middle, my young one will still hold like a cigar. But they throw great and are not too hard. They do have a surface texture which makes dirty quicker but a quick scrub with Softscrub gets that off. I almost never use canvas bumpers.
    Right after Airflow bumpers became available, I saw a video of an 8 week old Lab puppy making multiple little retrieves with an Airflow. Every time, the puppy held in the center. That impressed me so much, I became Airflow's first distributor. They were developed by Auburn University Vet School. There are multiple benefits: 1. The shape encourages a center hold. 2. They are one of only 2 bumpers made in the USA. 3. They are the only bumpers made of food grade plastic. All others are made of polyvinyl chloride, to the best of my knowledge. PVCs have been banned for children's toys since 2008 because it's toxic. 4. Due to the shape, 350% more air is delivered to the dog's lungs than standard shaped bumpers - significant if you're doing repetitive drills, e.g. pile work, etc.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Check the local stores for their availability and based on their reviews select those bumpers which will not wear and tear.

How much do you recommend? Thanks. I am looking for getting one.

Thanks for the information. I did not know before
    the dog is a friend of man

If properly designed, both steel and aluminum bumpers perform excellently well during off-road use. However, aluminum is not the best option if you are into rock climbing as impacts tend to weaken aluminum bumpers by causing undue straining on the rivets and welded areas. Steel on the other hand can be dented without any sort of effect on the strength of bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by tonnyguetta View Post
    If properly designed, both steel and aluminum bumpers perform excellently well during off-road use. However, aluminum is not the best option if you are into rock climbing as impacts tend to weaken aluminum bumpers by causing undue straining on the rivets and welded areas. Steel on the other hand can be dented without any sort of effect on the strength of bumper.
    LOL!!! Now here's a REAL dog trainer!!
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (HRC & NAHRA 500 PT Club)
    HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
    SHR Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI (2003-2017)