Walk-up flyers in hunt tests?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walk-up flyers in hunt tests?

Default Walk-up flyers in hunt tests?

Can one incorporate this safely in ht? Would you ever use this in a Senior level?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I don't see why it would be more difficult to safely set up a flier for a walk-up than any other flier.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

I would have to say, as Lisa Van loo used to say, it depends. With proper available grounds I think you could. However live birds are tricky they like to change direction and distance requirements of the walk up are close. The no attention-getting part would be tossed out the window with the noise of getting the live birds out of the crate letting them flap a bit and exercise and get ready to fly. And like I said it depends on the grounds you don't want the live Gunners shooting your walk up live flyer aiming at the rest of your workers out in the field. Or the gallery gosh people get miffed when you shoot at the gallery. Then of course you get to the deep philosophical question of sure you can do it at this time at this place, but do you need to? Might be fun with a chukar out of a box trap there's something to chew on!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maliretriever View Post
    Can one incorporate this safely in ht? Would you ever use this in a Senior level?
    Thanks!
    The shorter distance, required with no attention getting device would make it challenging to setup. But if you had the necessary angels to make it safe; gun handling safe-poorly controlled senior level dogs safe. Yep could do it. Now would you do it in Senior, if judges wanted to go home early, or enjoyed watching dogs. A) Break B) Never see the second mark; and if they managed to stay probably handle on it. Sure could be a test; but what could be vs. what should be to fairly test a senior level dog are different. A out of order flyer in senior = dog handling, even without it being a walk-up bird. It's a test more about control than anything else, not sure that's what I want to judge at the senior level. Rather see them count to 2 (with challenging marks) and judge control on blinds, but that's just me. In master on the other hand; well "no crying in masters"; bring it on.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-22-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    I don't see why it would be more difficult to safely set up a flier for a walk-up than any other flier.
    I can see where you wouldn't see the problem in light of your stated position of not caring to read the "jumbled mess" ....of the rule book that governs our sport.

Once again;....If you don't care to search through the " jumbled mess" of a rule book that governs our sport then why do you feel the need to give your uninformed opinion about what it may or may not say?

An 'evil' judge would

Set up a walk up on water, with a sluiced bird and an honor. hahahaha!

All kidding aside, how would one be certain the bird landed within the distance parameters of the rules? How would you deal with the undoubted occurrence of no birds because one sailed or flew too far or turned and flew the wrong (unsafe) direction? Hard enough dealing with fliers on marks without the distance/safety concerns. If you wanted to 'be sure' most fliers landed with the 45yd distance, you'd have to be shooting them at what? 15 yd from the line?
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    I can see where you wouldn't see the problem in light of your stated position of not caring to read the "jumbled mess" ....of the rule book that governs our sport.

Once again;....If you don't care to search through the " jumbled mess" of a rule book that governs our sport then why do you feel the need to give your uninformed opinion about what it may or may not say?
    Another helpful post from the RTF resident ass.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Years ago when I was running a 'started' test in Missouri. A 'walk up' with a flyer was set up at the initial starting line of the test. We were told to walk up to the line with the dog on lead or at heel, then release the lead (if one was used). When the dog sit, immediately they would call for the release of a flyer followed by a shot, hopefully, hitting the flyer. Now this set up was behind a large bush, at the line on your right side as you got to the line.

At this level, 'Started' many dogs 'broke' or just freaked out. A few sit tight until released....but it seemed a hard test for a young dog running at that level.

Swampcollielover.... Was that a HRC?, "started" test?

Just curious..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Swampcollielover.... Was that a HRC?, "started" test?

Just curious..
    Yep! Over the years we have run hunt test, I probably ran in 4-5 HRC tests....I prefer AKC!