What's Up With California?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With California?

Default What's Up With California?

Why is California always, so it seems, on fire? It is not the only state with trees, wind and droughts. Could it be environmental BS? Lack of controlled burns? Lack of reservoirs? Inquiring minds want to know....
    I used to be M&Ks Retrievers but for some reason I could no longer post. Ya think the mods trying to tell me something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I think there are a few reasons. Decades of not allowing fires to burn and/or prescribed burning by the forest service, lots of dead trees from insects/diseases, changing climate With increased drought conditions year after year, and the annual winds...take a small fire, add 50 mph winds, now you have a really big fire. Also, lots of people living in fire prone areas. As you know all western states have fires, I think Cali has a perfect situation for bigger issues. My daughter lives in Flagstaff, and they had a number of fires this summer and one of the driest monsoon seasons in history.
    " Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, (red) wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Unknown

From what I understand it's a crime to remove a single dry twig from a California forest. Plus sh!t happens.
    Then of course there is Trump, pretty sure it's his fault I'll let Frankie explain why.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Lots of dead trees from the bark beetle and a 7 year drought. Last 2 years we have had better than normal rain that has provided kindling for a big fire. Last year, high winds blew big dead trees into power lines that sparked devastating fires. Now, when the winds pick up, PG&E shuts off the power so they can't be blamed. I would do the same...
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER SH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Lots of dead trees from the bark beetle and a 7 year drought. Last 2 years we have had better than normal rain that has provided kindling for a big fire. Last year, high winds blew big dead trees into power lines that sparked devastating fires. Now, when the winds pick up, PG&E shuts off the power so they can't be blamed. I would do the same...

Wonder why the big dead trees and under growth are still there?
    I used to be M&Ks Retrievers but for some reason I could no longer post. Ya think the mods trying to tell me something?

Another problem is the TYPE of brush in many of those areas. There is lots native brush like creosote bush that is filled with turpines and other volatile oils, which will burn like gasoline, then people build into those areas. Just asking for trouble. Apparently, the state known for its intereference in nearly everything, doesn't have codes requiring that people building in these fire prone areas build using fire proof or fire resistant materials and landscape appropriately.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Hoping you and yours, together with all the California RTF members are safe from harm and bearing up under the stress of power outages, fouled air and fear of shifting winds. Watching homes go up in flames as highways are choked with evacuees is downright frightening, even if you are safe from danger there is an ominous sense of dread when the sun is hazed over by smoke and the air tastes of flame and ash.
    My concurrence is so vigorous that elucidation becomes a challenge I must now, in the interest of time, shrink from.

Roseberry

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker & Jessie View Post
    Wonder why the big dead trees and under growth are still there?
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported in December 2017 that approximately 27 million trees had died statewide on federal, state and private lands since November 2016. The tally brought to 129 million the number of trees that have died in California forests during years of drought and bark beetle infestations since 2010.
    During its review, the Commission found that California’s forests suffer from neglect and mismanagement, resulting in overcrowding that leaves them susceptible to disease, insects and wildfire.

https://lhc.ca.gov/report/fire-mount...-sierra-nevada

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported in December 2017 that approximately 27 million trees had died statewide on federal, state and private lands since November 2016. The tally brought to 129 million the number of trees that have died in California forests during years of drought and bark beetle infestations since 2010. During its review, the Commission found that California’s forests suffer from neglect and mismanagement, resulting in overcrowding that leaves them susceptible to disease, insects and wildfire. https://lhc.ca.gov/report/fire-mount...-sierra-nevada

So you are saying it's another mismanagement problem in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker & Jessie View Post
    So you are saying it's another mismanagement problem in California.
    That’s what we do best...
    Our state government could screw up a wet dream.