The Glory of Defeat - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Glory of Defeat

Class act fessing up and letting us share, could have been a dbl cheeser day.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It was very good of you to post your first derby. To get to the 4th series is a really good positive on how you have trained the dog. So take all the positives from everyone and the work the dog did for you this week and continue on this pathto more sucsess in your training and trailing

Congratulations. You and your dog did good. Be proud of what you accomplished.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you named her appropriately! She gave you good effort and some nice memories. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

euphemismIn the Title)
    I enjoyed reading the content of your day 'Juli' .
    For a Novice like me in these games ...but always interested . How many Derby winners become AKC FC (percentage would be enough ,rather than specific number or endless quotes of names) I am imagining/assuming this is a stepping stone competition/level for young retrievers.
    As a Trainer of other people's dogs ,I often hear the quotes "Don't have access to the grounds" ,"Don't have the facilities" ,"The dog has not had the same exposure" ,"The ground and cover is so much different to where we normally train" etc ,etc .
    ..Smarty is Not retired I hope ?...Just because it is Too old for a Derby ...Having a string helps with the fame and fortune of 'Derby dogs' I would presume ? ..much like over this side of the pond with a different calling .
    Nice post ! Not many put their head above the Parapet on 'Defeat' ,usually heads up on winning
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Sounds like you named her appropriately! She gave you good effort and some nice memories. -Paul

Thanks Paul, I like to think she is living up to her name .... The judges asked me after I released her on the second series and she 'yelled' for release if I ever called her Smarty Pants... And yes... I do! She was jacked for the first two series and her vocalization took me by surprise both times (she had some issue when she was younger but we worked to remove the excitement) At the beginning of the third series I reminded her to 'be quiet' and she was... hahahaha!
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    euphemismIn the Title)
    I enjoyed reading the content of your day 'Juli' .
    For a Novice like me in these games ...but always interested . How many Derby winners become AKC FC (percentage would be enough ,rather than specific number or endless quotes of names) I am imagining/assuming this is a stepping stone competition/level for young retrievers.
    As a Trainer of other people's dogs ,I often hear the quotes "Don't have access to the grounds" ,"Don't have the facilities" ,"The dog has not had the same exposure" ,"The ground and cover is so much different to where we normally train" etc ,etc .
    ..Smarty is Not retired I hope ?...Just because it is Too old for a Derby ...Having a string helps with the fame and fortune of 'Derby dogs' I would presume ? ..much like over this side of the pond with a different calling .
    Nice post ! Not many put their head above the Parapet on 'Defeat' ,usually heads up on winning
    Thanks Robert!

yes, the glory of defeat - because we were defeated.... by some very nice dogs! But it was glorious to make it so far in her first derby. When I take into consideration that almost all of her training has been for hunt tests, until the last month and a half - It makes me happy to think of our accomplishment. Yes, she has had long marks throughout her training - but it would not be very smart to run a hunt test dog on 200-300 yd marks with much frequency.

Smarty is not retired. I could, if I wanted to drive some longer distances, enter her in more derbies as she doesn't age out til late Feb...but it's deer season here and soon water training will be 'out the window' As far as running in all age stakes - I understand the enormous amount of 'resources' it takes to have a competitive FT dog. And I don't have those.... BUT, I do have the ability to train her for hunt tests! and the grounds! So that is what we will do. She will just have to be a 'lowly' hunt test dog... maybe Q's at some point down the road... that would probably be attainable by us as well.... She's a good one. I guess I will keep her.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

oh - to answer your question regarding derby dogs becoming all age dogs (FC or AFC)... I don't know? not as many as one would think probably - it is a huge huge undertaking to go from derby dog to AA competitor. Derby dogs that are heavily campaigned 'can' develop a lot of bad habits, and that could be their undoing when they continue training for AA stakes - not to mention having memory for quads, retired guns, and running long blinds on a tightrope.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Friendly advice, when this happens rather than calling the dog in and thereby possibly creating a negative experience ask the judges for help from the gun so that the dog has some feeling of success. From a judge’s point of view this usually takes less time than calling in a dog who may be reluctant to leave the field without a bird.

Could not agree more with this statement. It helps show the dog where they went wrong and turns it into a learning experience.
    But great job!!!! Sounds like a tough derby and you did well. Also congrats to Jeff in his first am!

It was nice to see the photos. The judges for this Derby had very nice grounds to work with. Better than usual, in my experience. Kudos to the club and Landowner(s) for making them available for their use. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.