Value of a great dog?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of a great dog?

Default Value of a great dog?

Not posting to cast aspersions at all - I've never been around a truly great dog or known anyone that has one. My only brush with that level of accomplishment was with the guy that trained on elf my dogs. He had a really nice BLM that blasted through MH, and had a couple Jams and maybe a couple AA points if I remember right. He sold that dog at 4 or 5 years oldfor fifteen or 20 grand - he was a young guy and really needed the money.

What does a dog have to do to be worth $85,000? How many $85,000 dogs are there out there?

Do people with high value dogs insure the dog to an agreed upon value?

fullsizeoutput_2d17
    Last edited by spaightlabs; 11-08-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I would guess most FCs would bring that if not more.

You have to separate what the dog is worth to the owner vs what the dog will actually bring.

The going rate for derby dogs is a thousand per point.

There are stories of $100k+ being offered up for certain dogs.

When you factor in the money potentially to be brought in from stud fees and litters it doesn't take long to reach those numbers.

Even a nice HT female has the potential to bring in over $20k-$30k with just a few litters.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Mine are only "great"in my eyes... There's not enough money on the planet....
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    I would guess most FCs would bring that if not more. .
    While the owner might have that much invested that is several multiples above market value depending on age, pedigree, potential as a stud, and potential buyers. I have a very nice just turned 6 AFC who runs a limited number of trials that I would be more than happy to rehome for $85,000. 😉

I would guess a 'deceased' dog's stored semen could be worth more - if said dog was someone like Lean Mac, or Grady.

I'd like to think a dog with only one derby point would be worth more than $1000? LOL
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

In my opinion “value,” as stated in the image, is much different than what someone might pay to buy a dog.

If the question is...how did they come up with $85k for that picture? I have no idea... but... I would imagine they took into account the amount spent on many things such as pro training, entry fees, titles obtained, potential stud fees,etc etc.

But as Ed stated, that is probably not “market” price.
    Last edited by birddogn_tc; 11-08-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Very few field champions would bring that kind of money. A 3 year old maybe but a 6-7 year old not a chance. Sure a few dogs sell here and there for stupid money but those are the exceptions. I know of a field champion male that sold for under 15k 3 years ago roughly that’s still competing. $85k is a pipe dream for 99.9 % of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    I would guess most FCs would bring that if not more.

You have to separate what the dog is worth to the owner vs what the dog will actually bring.

The going rate for derby dogs is a thousand per point.

There are stories of $100k+ being offered up for certain dogs.

When you factor in the money potentially to be brought in from stud fees and litters it doesn't take long to reach those numbers.

Even a nice HT female has the potential to bring in over $20k-$30k with just a few litters.
    HRCH Twin Rivers Rowdy Roddy Piper
    FC GRHRCH Franchises Performance Enhancing Drug

The dog in question has an FC and an MH and just turned six. Has run more then twenty All Age stakes this year with a first, two thirds and more then a dozen green ribbons and has played into the fourth series more then 85percent of the time. The dog has a very active stud schedule and lastly is known to be handled by two different amateurs who have little training time with the dog. His pedigree is beautiful and has great sought after lines. Simply the price represents what was researched via multiple professional opinions. However, there really is no price point to value a dog of any kind. They, our dogs work for us unconditionally with only the hope of love in return of their forever faithfulness to us who are not worthy of their character. Bless the dog in YOUR life.

Amen Fetchbrowndog!
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

That all may be true but damn sure doesn’t make the dog worth $85k. I hate he was stolen but that has nothing to do with worth.

Quote Originally Posted by fetchbrowndog View Post
    The dog in question has an FC and an MH and just turned six. Has run more then twenty All Age stakes this year with a first, two thirds and more then a dozen green ribbons and has played into the fourth series more then 85percent of the time. The dog has a very active stud schedule and lastly is known to be handled by two different amateurs who have little training time with the dog. His pedigree is beautiful and has great sought after lines. Simply the price represents what was researched via multiple professional opinions. However, there really is no price point to value a dog of any kind. They, our dogs work for us unconditionally with only the hope of love in return of their forever faithfulness to us who are not worthy of their character. Bless the dog in YOUR life.
    HRCH Twin Rivers Rowdy Roddy Piper
    FC GRHRCH Franchises Performance Enhancing Drug