The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Value of a great dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    Tobias would they take 85 for Rain?
    I know I wouldn't. She's a special dog (although being given as much opportunity as one could hope for doesn't hurt!) Could her littermates have been as successful? we may not know because maybe they were not afforded the same opportunity.. or maybe some were and did not pan out.... the ones listed on rr have the jh titles. Regardless, it takes a very intelligent and excellent marking dog to accomplish what she has.
    Last edited by Tobias; 11-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    Tobias would they take 85 for Rain?
    According to Brian Parks math they would

He apparently knows of some dog with a hunt test title that's could be worth more than that though

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    In an all age trial or specialty? Plenty of off breeds have GCH titles and get their qualified all age status at a specialty. Anyone who runs trials knows an all breed trial is very different than a title gained at a specialty. We need to be realistic about titles.
    Bally earned both of his ribbons at all breed, pro/am quals, with 35+ entries

There are no other GCH goldens with a field trial ribbon, period, from any stake any where
    Last edited by Furball; 11-11-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" HRCH Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing UD MH NA WCX CCA VCX, Can. CD WC
    & "Bally" BISS GCH Richwood Wing-T Workin' Like A Dog CD MH WCX** DDHF VCX, Can. CH WCI
    & "Brix" BISS GCH Can. CH Malagold Wing-T We Can Work It Out JH WC, Can. CH WC
    www.go-fisher.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Final Flight Retrievers View Post
    a dog is worth as much as what someone is willing to pay !!!
    True of everything in a free market.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

I find what you saying impossible to believe. If it’s true his owners are marketing wizards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    Not a silver. I don't feel comfortable identifying the dog as it's not mine.
    HRCH Twin Rivers Rowdy Roddy Piper
    FC GRHRCH Franchises Performance Enhancing Drug

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kirkpatrick View Post
    "A really companionable and indispensable dog is an accident of nature.
    You can't get it by breeding for it, and you can't buy it for money."

E.B.White, One man's meat, 1982
    This.. /\ /\…. I wonder how many of us ,have truly experienced one.. I haven't owned that many dogs.. 6 over 40 years or so... There is one that has been extra different as far as defining a companion,... truly a gift...
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    This.. /\ /\…. I wonder how many of us ,have truly experienced one.. I haven't owned that many dogs.. 6 over 40 years or so... There is one that has been extra different as far as defining a companion,... truly a gift...

Cant seem to post a quote within a quote ( just stupid I guess) but I dont get it Gooser. Maybe Im not understanding Ray's post but his description fits ALL my dogs all that I have kept anyway especially when it comes to being a companion. That's why I like labs I thought they came out of the box like that. I have had very few even considering the ones I didn't keep and sold that I didn't like.

I remeber one very cold day. It was late.. almost sundown. Hunting a large field of yellow grass.. we flushed a rooster.. I didnt hit it well, and the bird flew over a small rise,that made it impossible to to follow. The dog was in hot pursuit.. I walked to the top of the rise,,and could not see the dog! he blended perfectly into the late day sunset on the grass.. (Yeller dog). I stood there for a long time whistling for him...
    It got dark,, panicking, I made my way back to the truck, thinking I was going to have to leave him..

I was a few yards from the truck, not knowing what my next move was going to be. I turned 1 last time to look over my shoulder, and the dog was 35 yards from me with the bird in his mouth..,,,

I haven't ever experienced that much feeling of relief, since in my life...

A lowly Junior Hunter, Ill trained by me, but spent countless hours of time in the field hunting rooster for 13 years... With me through those good times, and also with me though some very dark days... Always there... There is not enough money on the planet ...
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Cant seem to post a quote within a quote ( just stupid I guess) but I dont get it Gooser. Maybe Im not understanding Ray's post but his description fits ALL my dogs all that I have kept anyway especially when it comes to being a companion. That's why I like labs I thought they came out of the box like that. I have had very few even considering the ones I didn't keep and sold that I didn't like.

That 1 dog of mine was very obviously different from all the others... All my dogs are special to me... but that 1 dog stood out... many many great memories, along with some very bad also... dog was always there.. He was obviously "My dog"

Had no money at the time... Only enough to gas the truck,,and a bit of food... Motels were out of the question, on those cold Nebraska/ Kansas hunting trips.. Many nights spent on the ground on a pad, under the truck, with that dog curled up next to me... Both of us happily worn out chasing Roosters during the day..

You cant buy that.. JMHO..

roostersage.JPG
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-11-2019 at 10:04 AM.