Alternatives to ecollar training
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Alternatives to ecollar training

Default Alternatives to ecollar training

I have a one year old yellow lab and have been following the Chris Atkins videos which include using an ecollar. I have had a hard time using the ecollar since it seems like it works sometimes and then other times it doesn't. At times it works too well and my dog yelps. I have seen the intro videos for Cornerstone Gundog Academy and really liked their method though it is rather expensive but worth it I am sure. I am wondering if changing from an ecollar program to something like Cornerstone when my pup is just over a year old is an option. Also, are there any other options for non ecollar training beyond Cornerstone? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kylestrong View Post
    I have a one year old yellow lab and have been following the Chris Atkins videos which include using an ecollar. I have had a hard time using the ecollar since it seems like it works sometimes and then other times it doesn't. At times it works too well and my dog yelps. I have seen the intro videos for Cornerstone Gundog Academy and really liked their method though it is rather expensive but worth it I am sure. I am wondering if changing from an ecollar program to something like Cornerstone when my pup is just over a year old is an option. Also, are there any other options for non ecollar training beyond Cornerstone? Thanks!
    probably not the best forum to ask your question, but it will get replies.
    Welcome btw on your first post.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

The problem isn't the method but sounds like tte collar itself is working improperly or not fitted correctly.

Can a dog be trained without an e-collar?

Sure

However, I see no negatives with using an e-collar if you get one that works properly, is fitted properly and used appropriately.

But....

Since you have been using it inappropriately it may be best for you to try a different method.

Cornerstone gun dog academy seems to be really good and I know some who have had some success training nice gun dogs with it.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks Bryan Parks and Polmaise for your responses.

When I was young I trained a bunch of dogs without an e-collar. So now that I am old I can tell you the collar is much more humane and much faster because the correction is instant. If you don't want to use a collar you have to run out and correct the dog. By the time you get there he might not be sure why you are doing it, plus by the time I got there I was usually kind of pissed because he made me run all the way out there. Sometimes a dog that doesn't want to sit or come when you give the command decides to run from you. So you either give up and teach him he can safely give you the paw or you persevere until you catch him and make him know that's not an option. At that point the original training objective is toast.

With the collar you say no, or here, or sit, or whatever and you give him a nick. Doesn't hurt him and he knows exactly why you did it if you train him right, and he can't escape the correction. The other way is tennis shoe training. You can do it, but it takes longer, is only for young people who can run, and is less efficient/ causes a lot of undue confusion for a young dog.
    Last edited by Leddyman; 11-12-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    Docheno's Recon Warrior "Gunny"
    Bad Motor Scooter SH "Scooter"

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Sounds like you might have a e-collar with an issue

Try a garmin and see if it isn't more consistent

Or call Chris and ask his opinion - he will answer the phone, just be respectful of his time (number is on the Webb Footed Kennel facebook page)