Teaching Hold
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Hold

Default Teaching Hold

I have a pup who will not walk and hold the bumper. She holds beautifully on the table and in the field until you say here or heel. I have not pinched her ear yet, just trying to teach hold. Been doing this for a week. Yesterday I bet I did it 50 times. 10 minute session.

Hold- Good- drop- GOOD! (just sitting). Hold- Good- Here, she spits it out and comes. No- Hold- cuff under the chin- place bumper back in her mouth- cuff HOLD. Here- spits bumper. Same thing if you try Heel.

Anybody got any tricks for getting them to walk without spitting the bumper? We are going exactly by Lardy's videos right down the line and trying to get to FF. Pup is well bred, 8 months old. No teething or other issues she just can't walk and chew gum. I'm thinking I'm going to move on and start with FF.

I'm going out to train I'll check back later.
    Docheno's Recon Warrior "Gunny"
    Bad Motor Scooter SH "Scooter"

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Try NOT cuffing her under the chin... I prefer to place my hand on the top of the dog's muzzle and push down. (think about the physics of a dog trying to drop something as you push down on their muzzle, vs 'popping them under the chin' and pushing their muzzle up.)

Try - 'just one step forward' - even if it is just to stand up then sit back down.
    Try - helping her 'hold' the bumper as she makes that step or 'change of position' from sit to stand.

Baby steps, literally, for some dogs.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I know some people have started with a paint roller. I also know that things can get done differently on a long table with a cable. The simple thing could be using a paint roller instead of a bumper ..... but,

Don’t do it because I typed it on the internet. It is a valid observation that some people have started with a paint roller. It could be the wrong thing to do.

If it is the wrong thing, I bet no one who knows it to be wrong mentions that fact. I imagine you could run into some push back if a dog has never seen a paint roller.

I am of the opinion currently to start puppies with Mallards and one inch bumpers. I got that Steve Shaver. That eliminates paint rollers.

So ..... I quest you have to use common sense.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I doubt you're following the steps in Lardy program exactly don't try to walk before you crawl what you're seeing is Normal, most all pups will drop the bumper when you first walk with it.
    Don't worry about hold while you're walking until you start and finish the table portion of force fetch.
    She got the message to hold while sitting. Now introduce the ear pinch, or toe hitch to get her to open her mouth and accept the bumper......WHICH TURNS OFF THE PRESSURE!!!!!!!
    Next extend that to get use the pinch to get her to reach for the bumper ..... .. which VOILA!!...... Again magically turns off the pressure extend that to get her to have compulsion to lunge for the bumper.........EVEN BEFORE you give the fetch command. At this point who cares if she disobeyed the sit command ...... DO YOU GET IT??
    Who cares if you do? Because the dog shows that shedoes and has the basics of understanding now how to turn pressure off.
    Another place where most dogs will hesitate ito pick up and hold the retrieving object is when you go to the ground

That once again is not a failure it's another opportunity for you to have the dog show you that it understands how to turn the pressure off......when you pinch her ear and FORCE her to pick it up....... and once again ....VOILA!! the pressure goes away.

Keep following all the steps until you get to the point where you teach the dog to walk and hold the bumper.
    If she spits the bumper out which she probably will, go ahead and cuff her under the Muzzle a few times to encourage her that you want her to hold while walking.
    When you get to walking fetch if she drops a bumper or doesn't pick it up, if you have done your job right is all you'll have to do is turn back towards that bumper reach for her ear and she will lunge for it and show you she's got the message

Try not giving the second command and just do the action gently. Her mind is just switching to focus on the next task which, when taught, didn't include the bumper. Work through getting her to take a step or two, or a few with good praise for walking and chewing gum, then build on from there.
    Darrin Greene

I was always under the assumption you are only teaching "Hold" ,Not "Carry"..

You haven't the tool yet to "correct" if the dog drops before its told to.. You can only, simply, place the bumper back in dogs mouth.. (attrition)

If the dog will grab bumper when told to "hold", holds it till you say "drop" (not "carry" it while walking)... then IMHO you are good..

Some folks don't teach "Hold" they go straight to FF..
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-12-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

That sounds like a good tip to me.

I liked Darren’s tip. My mile marker was being able to walk in a figure eight. It probably would help to see what the dog is doing and what is going on. That is usually true. My assumption was that the OP knows what he is doing. Tiger fan apparently assumes the OP has never done FF.

Whether or not to teach hold before fetch? Why not? If the the answer is that someone is not good at teaching hold .... well ..... that is obviously “fill in the blank”.

And really .... why would anyone not what to have the command “hold” in the tool kit while a dog is moving? If you have never done “hold” before I’ve got tips.

My take on what other people do is that they keep working at it. They keep working at it and the dog gets it. Some dogs are reall sloppy after FF with hold. I know I was advised to build a dumbbell. People work on “hold” after FF.