Drone coverage at the national
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone coverage at the national

Default Drone coverage at the national

I sure wish Pat was doing the coverage at the national with his drone and interviews of handlers! Apparently the powers that be thought the later handlers were getting too much of an advantage from watching the drone footage, kinda like the HOF committee! There is so much luck involved in changing conditions and when you run in a national, I personally think letting the arm chair quarterbacks setting at their desks a birds eye view has been awesome for the sport. There is tons of complaining about judging every weekend, why not let the judging pool have a real time view of what national judges setup? How about the kid that has his first derby dog but can't afford to go to the national in either time or money, but can get a much better picture by looking at the drawings and viewing the drone video. Watching a test dog run a series of marks is not a CIA mission!
    CB
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    I sure wish Pat was doing the coverage at the national with his drone and interviews of handlers! Apparently the powers that be thought the later handlers were getting too much of an advantage from watching the drone footage, kinda like the HOF committee! There is so much luck involved in changing conditions and when you run in a national, I personally think letting the arm chair quarterbacks setting at their desks a birds eye view has been awesome for the sport. There is tons of complaining about judging every weekend, why not let the judging pool have a real time view of what national judges setup? How about the kid that has his first derby dog but can't afford to go to the national in either time or money, but can get a much better picture by looking at the drawings and viewing the drone video. Watching a test dog run a series of marks is not a CIA mission!
    CB
    Thank you for bringing this up...

I was thinking about this just the other day and the only reason I could come up with the lack of drone footage is exactly as you mentioned. Too much info for handlers... perceived by some to be an unfair advantage to those that get to see the footage before they run. How about just uploading the footage at the end of each series? I know I learn a lot by watching those videos and they inspire me to be a better trainer, even though I do not run trials (well, not enough to count, since I've only run 2 derbies LOL!)
    I hope the powers that be will reverse this 'trend' in the future. I LOVE watching the videos.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I hope the powers that be will reverse this 'trend' in the future.
    “The powers that be” is a poorly defined and elusive entity. Is this a NRC decision or a RN decision? I suspect that the he/she/they will remain anonymous.

Several years ago an NARC officer banned personal cameras from the gallery and claimed some sort of copyright infringement for anyone recording videos on cellphones or video cameras.

Anyone who runs later is the beneficiary of information from everyone who ran before, workers, and officials that early handlers do not possess.

And, by the way, I can get much better information from my buddy who is an 8 point judge and competitor who happens to be on the Steward’s or Marshall’s Committee than I would ever get from watching a drone video of the test dogs.

Maybe, just maybe that decision is actually about money and not competition.
    Last edited by EdA; 11-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Really? Those all mighty marshalls would share insider information that's unheard of!
    Just kidding some know who the control freaks are that want to limit all the video etc. The same ones that consult all the people ie marshalls, gunners, throwers, hostess etc to get all the insider information they can. I've been out of the game for some time but I see the same people wanting to limit to their abilities what goes on. Train your dog, be on time, and have fun! Lots of people have forgot how to do that!
    Ed has ran many more nationals than I ever will but I think he will agree many things have to go just right. Scenting conditions, Lighting, Long Flyers/Short Flyers, No-Birds, Wind changes, run early/late, all can be big factors at different points in a nationals.
    I had the workers party cut off hit me twice when there was 10 dogs left to run the next morning and there was a 20% only able to do the test when 90% were doing it the day before. Tons of factors and luck involved but thinking a drone video is a huge help to later contestants that are watching a test dog is crazy, but maybe not to number crunchers!
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

Chad

After the National is over, I am going to write a letter to the Retriever News, asking that they (or whoever is in charge of the decision) reinstate the drone coverage.

I don't think that the photos and drawings really tell you that much. You shouldn't need to be part of the secret handshake club to know what is going on.

I have talked to a couple of folks who have said that the 5th is tight, tight, tight. The photos don't convey that. The drawing does to some extent. But, for me, the drone is the key. I didn't understand why the 1/2 of the 2019 NARC was so tough. But, when I saw the drone and the contours of the field, I got it immediately.

As for the advantage, if you are an amateur that is not part of a connected group - at either the NARC or the NRC - you are not going to know much.

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I believe there is a drone photo up on the blog now.

It would seem to make the most sense then, if they are concerned about competitors getting advanced info/advantage that the official photographer not make drone footage public until after the series is complete. Not that hard to do considering if the photographer violated the rules, they wouldn't be the photographer for long.

Not sure how such a simple solution was missed. Sounds like the justification may be a bit weak or... some other factors no one else wants to talk about are at play (read Ed's commend re money).
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    It would seem to make the most sense then, if they are concerned about competitors getting advanced info/advantage that the official photographer not make drone footage public until after the series is complete. Not that hard to do considering if the photographer violated the rules, they wouldn't be the photographer for long.

Not sure how such a simple solution was missed. Sounds like the justification may be a bit weak or... some other factors no one else wants to talk about are at play (read Ed's commend re money).
    The official photographer is Mark Atwater. The drone footage is from Pat Burns Elite Retriever Training and is displayed on a giant LED screen in his company logo tent. He also has footage of interviews with people regarding the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper31 View Post
    I believe there is a drone photo up on the blog now.
    Burns drone coverage included flyovers of the test dogs, not just a still photo
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I think drone footage would be very cool. Especially for those of us who have never been to a national and thus have an even harder time interpreting the pictures. Seems it would be simple to wait until the series is over if someone has a concern about unfair advantage.